LVIII

You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.

- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin

-

The time had come and the uncertainty resonated within her. Despite this, the party she had planned to bring in the New Year was in full swing. So for now, she was to suppress any emotions until later. It was evening time and the decorations had all been set up. Black wired light bulbs that hung from trees, picnic blankets on the grass and the barbecue that was set to be Can's job. All the food had been purchased and the house embellished, so now all Sanem could do was sit down and rest.

Throughout the day, the worries clouded her mind, a low fog of anxiety that weighed her down. Naturally, it had been on her mind for some time and at that moment, the feeling was stronger than ever.

Can walked out into the garden, the crisp air revitalising him. Aware of his change of attire, Sanem smiled at his smokey black shirt and jeans. He looked dressed to kill. The sound of his heavy footing on the paving was a sound she would miss so she savoured it when she could. Approaching her, he pressed a kiss to her forehead and she giggled heartily, ruffling up her nose.

"What time is it?" 

He looked to his watch. "Just gone half seven. They'll be here soon."

"Is everything ready?" Sanem rubbed her belly, which by now had swollen a fair bit.

Can nodded. "You have to be careful today remember," He raised his eyebrows in relation to her action. "That is unless you want to tell your father. It's important he knows soon. I could if you'd like."

He smiled but her face fell in irritation.

"He would kill you, I swear. Leave anything about that up to me, please."

"I would have gone to their house last week, you understand that don't you? I thought it would be better if they all knew at once. I mean, I'm pretty sure that your mother told him already."

"She wouldn't do that... she knows I will tell him. She wouldn't do that." She said again, almost trying to reassure herself. "Besides, he would have tried to make contact if he knew anyway."

"What did she say?"

"She said that she had a hunch but she wasn't sure. Don't get me wrong, she didn't seem ecstatic but she was happy for us. She said she would visit me often when you..." 

Can knelt down beside her and sighed. "You know everything I'm doing, I'm doing for our family, don't you? I just want to know that you are happy."

"I am happy."

"You say that but it is stressing you out. I know that there are some things that I can't change but I will do everything I can to make this pregnancy and this trip of all things pleasant for you."

He grinned at her and placed a kiss onto her belly.

"Kizim!"

Can shot up like a dart and the two of them turned around to see her mother and father standing in the living room. Clearly having let themselves in, they placed their belongings onto the countertops and walked towards the couple. Mevkibe seemed more alert than Sanem had ever seen her.

"You're early... what's all this?" Sanem pointed to the bags, walking back inside.

"We thought we would do the ceremony when the guests arrive. It isn't very often that you come to us so we thought we would bring it to you, hearing that Can's going away for a little while on business." Her father spoke excitedly.