Chapter 51: Beach Day, Start!

Early the next morning, Raphael sets out for Taylor's home before anyone else in the lair. It's a sunny day, perfect for the beach, and he's jittery with nerves. He has to stop himself from scratching at the patch on his inner arm.

At Taylor's, he's once again greeted by the Montero family's rented cars and one exhausted girlfriend. She hasn't done her usual makeup, leaving the shadows under her eyes in full view, and he can already hear the sound of young kids playing inside. She's already dressed in her bikini—a red top with a halter neck and black bottoms with sheer sides.

"Did you sleep okay?" he asks as she lets him in the front door.

She lets out a long sigh, dragging her hand down her face. "No. And yeah, I know I look like a troll."

"Nah. Still the prettiest girl I've ever seen."

She punches his chest lightly even as she starts to smile. She pauses, frowning a little before slowly reaching out and resting her fist against his chest again. He raises an eyebrow.

"It's so weird that your chest is all soft," she mumbles.

He tenses the muscles in his pecs. "There, that better?"

Her cheeks immediately flush and she yanks her hand back. "Ay, have some shame!" He smirks and she takes his hand, hauling him further into the house. "I still have to pack a few things. Come help me."

----------

Figuring out rides gives Raphael a headache.

He's used to just piling into whichever vehicle he and his brothers have chosen for the day, seatbelts and riding capacity be damned. In this case, there's an SUV with six seats and a Ferrari with two, and Bianca is basically foaming at the mouth trying to convince Taylor to ride with her.

But, that leaves Alessandro to drive Jack, Raphael, and the three younger kids in the SUV—Diego opted to stay at the hotel and, according to his dad, promised to grab a taxi and join them later. Raphael can already sense the tension and just knows it'll get thicker the second the men are locked in that SUV.

What would they even talk about, if they talk at all?

"So, we both slept with Bianca, huh?"

"Yup. Both had kids with her too."

Raphael shudders at the thought. Still, there aren't many alternatives. None of the three kids can sit in the front seat of the Ferrari safely and Alessandro doesn't want Jack or Raphael driving the rental cars, understandably.

Raphael can see Taylor's clear discomfort, the nerves pinching her jaw as she hugs herself tight. He decides to take one for the team.

And so, it comes to pass that Raphael ends up in the Ferrari with Bianca, leaving Taylor with her dad and the stepfamily in the SUV.

He has to admit, though, the Spider is wicked awesome, and he can almost forget about who's driving him if he closes his eyes and just lets the wind run through his hair.

"So how long have you and Taylor been together?" Bianca calls over the wind. She wears a pair of designer sunglasses that shades her eyes, but he hopes she's looking at the road and not side-eyeing him too much.

He clears his throat. "Oh, uh..." He taps his fingers against the car, elbow hanging out the open window. "A year, maybe? A little over?"

He rubs the back of his neck, jaw clenching a little. Time's gone by so quickly and he doesn't know exactly what day they would call their anniversary. The timeline of when they met to where they are now is littered with secret rendezvous, teen angst, misplaced passion, and betrayal.

Together As Mutants (Book Six)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara