Chapter 25: Donatello and Sarina: Project Log

"Metalhead," Sarina says. "Update project log."

Metalhead beeps, his purple visor glowing for a second as his antennae twitch, and then he lets out a confirming beep. Sarina clears her throat.

"Move Timothy's retromutagen up in priority," she commands. Another beep. "Add upgrading Destiny's hearing aids."

"Changing the project log again?" Donatello calls as he enters the lab, a mug of coffee in each hand.

"Yes," she calls. She sighs a little, adding, "Metalhead, save project log." When he beeps and tilts his head, she smiles. "Do not worry, I will come back to you."

She goes still as she feels Donatello's plastron brush her back, turning her head just as he looks over her shoulder at Metalhead. The coffee mugs now sit on the desk, steaming patiently.

"You know, making him a lab assistant was a brilliant idea," he says. "Metalhead I was my video game combat attempt."

"He acts as a memory drive for you. I already have one," she says with a giggle. She presses a kiss to his cheek. "He doubles as a training partner, should the need arise. I'm sure with upgrades, he will become a fantastic teacher."

"He's brilliant, my darling," he praises. He wraps his arms loosely around her waist, focusing his attention fully on her. "So, what's on the log?"

Her eyes flash. "Do you want Metalhead to tell you?"

"Sure!" He grins. "Metalhead, report projects!"

A beep, then a mechanical voice rings in the air, punctuated and precise. "Highest priority, create retromutagen for Timothy: see also, Pulverizer. Second, upgrade Destiny's hearing aids. Third, retromutagen for Pepperoni."

"Pause," Donatello says. Metalhead beeps and goes still as Donatello frowns, resting his chin on Sarina's shoulder. "I forgot about Pepper."

"We really should get on that," Sarina agrees. "Perhaps I will move it to the top of the priority list?"

"Yes, let's."

"Metalhead, move Pepper's retromutagen to the top of the priority list. Put Timothy's as second."

"Completed," Metalhead reports.

"What else is on the project list?" Donatello asks.

"Continue development of human patch," Metalhead says. "Place anti-Leonardo safety measures on the toaster. No further projects."

Sarina stifles a giggle as she steps away from Donatello's embrace. "The toaster? You..." Another giggle cuts her off, fingers pressing to her mouth.

He sighs. "I swear, it's for a good cause. I'm thinking either a warning bell that goes off if he tries to touch it," he says. He purses his lips in thought. "Or...a forcefield generator around the outside that doesn't go off unless it senses Leo's approach."

"Well, it seems we have a lot to do," Sarina says, leaning up to peck his nose. She turns and goes back to the lab table, sliding into her seat. "It's a shame that we must prioritize and focus on one or two tasks at a time. They all seem vital."

"I know, but if we did them all at once, we risk having plenty of unfinished projects," Donatello says, taking his seat near her. He eyes the sketches he left on his desk, detailing the human patches. "Human patches were on the list..."

"Yes."

He frowns, propping his chin on his hand. "It took so long just to figure them out, but they come with their own problems," he says. "They're useful, but they effect us in different ways that I didn't account for."

"Indeed," Sarina says, eyes flashing. "Destiny's near-deafness and general loss of heightened senses, your nearsightedness, and I've found that my memory is not as stellar when I wear them." She pauses. "Do not get me wrong, I am still intelligent, but my access to databases is gone and I dislike that greatly."

"So, basically, the patches work best for us turtles."

"Have your brothers noted any issues?"

"Raph said that his plastron chip shows up as a scar on his collarbone but...otherwise? No."

"Then your statement seems to ring true."

Donatello stares at the sketches, the notes, the dark smears from the multiple times he erased notes only to write new ones and erase them again. He reads over the words, searching for any kind of inspiration.

He pauses on the work "cloaking." In the original notes, he said that the patch worked as a temporary cloaking device.

"Sarina," he says.

"Yes, dear?"

"The patches are like...a temporary cloaking device."

"Yes, unless I have misunderstood them."

"Why not find a way to make a permanent cloaking device, but...one that can be turned off and on as we please?"

Sarina slowly looks up from her own work, eyes flashing as she mulls over his words. "Hm," she murmurs. "Perhaps, something like the invisibility shields on the Kraang stealth ships?"

His eyes light up. "Brilliant, yes!" he says, already getting to his feet. He looks about the lab, hands patting aimlessly. "Yes, we...we have some of that tech saved from our scrounging, right? If we can reverse engineer it to create some type of illusion..."

Sarina continues watching him as he flits about the lab, still muttering to himself as he goes, and she smiles. She leans back, beckoning Metalhead to her side.

"Update project log," she says, and Metalhead's responding beep sounds almost happy.