CXLXIII. Rescuing Them - Leonardo

Emery remains alert as the few Foot bots she activated carry Dean away. She's stunned by the reappearance of her old enemy's offspring, much less the fact that the boy is alone. Then again, that only leaves her open to trying this new plan.

The leopard had seen Destiny teaching her little boy to fly, leaving Emery with a plethora of new opportunities. Her plans for the future can't come along quite yet, but she can still try some new things now. If Destiny shows up, oh, that'll just be icing on the cake.

From a distance, a snake mutant watches the Foot carry the unconscious boy. She takes one look at Emery, letting out a low hiss. Whatever that cat is up to, she knows it isn't good. She can't let the menacing leopard kidnap children.

In an instant, she's on the street and slithering towards the group. As she gets closer, she catches sight of the wings and wolf characteristics of the boy. She feels something stir inside her as her slitted eyes widen. She knows now that saving the boy is imperative.

She leaps at the group of ninjas with a loud hiss, taking out the few holding him captive with a few hits from her double-headed arms. Emery snarls at the snake, despite her face seeming to slacken with shock.

"You? You're still around?" she asks.

The serpentine woman doesn't answer, sending a spray of venom into the mutant's eyes. As her enemy lets out a pained yowl, she scoops up the winged boy and disappears from view. Emery lets out a roar of disappointment as her reddened eyes snap open.

A malicious glint sparks deep within her golden optics, her pointed teeth showing through her smile.

"Fine, if that's how you want to play."

------------

When Dean comes to, he sees only the dank walls of the sewer. He sits up, his head aching. He surrounds himself with his wings, his little body trembling. There's a low hissing sound from down the tunnel as a purple snake with green eyes appears. He squeaks, hiding his face.

"Who are you? Where are my parents?" Dean cries, his tiny wings still curled around him.

The snake morphs into a girl with dark hair, her hazel eyes glinting with sympathy. She moves towards the boy, remaining cautious.

"I'm Karai. I don't know where your parentsss are." She kneels in front of him. Something about him is reminding her of someone...but it can't be what she's thinking of. "Who are your parentsss?"

The little boy pulls his wings away from him and he looks up into her eyes. Immediately, Karai knows exactly who his parents are. That sapphire blue colour is unmistakeable. It's the same blue that used to look at her with warmth so long ago.

"Are you...Leonardo'sss son?" she asks softly.

He nods, sniffling a little. "Y-Yeah, and my mom is Destiny..."

Karai smiles lightly. "Ssso, what doesss that make you?"

He looks up at her. "I'm...Dean."

He sniffs, his lip trembling as he buries his face in his knees, starting to cry harder. She places a hand on his shoulder, applying light pressure.

"Don't cry, little one. It'sss okay," she comforts.

"B-b-but, I'm scared. My dad tells me t-to be brave b-but..." He wipes his nose and face. "What if those b-bad people come back?"

"I'll protect you if they do," she promises. "Your parentsss are coming. I know it."

"You know them?"