Chapter 53: Love Them More

Destiny wishes she'd picked out a tankini, something like Annalise's swimsuit—cute ruffles, decent coverage. She thought Bianca was staring before, but now it's obvious. The woman is watching her like a hawk, her eyes glimmering, and Destiny feels like she's being undressed.

She puts Leonardo between her and Bianca, gripping his shoulders. "Bianca's staring again..."

Leonardo frowns and looks over at her. Bianca grins and waves at them and Leonardo frowns even as he slowly waves back.

"Weird," he mutters to Destiny. "Maybe I can—"

Destiny's grip tightens. "Oh, crap, she's coming."

Sure enough, Bianca stands and struts towards them, a bounce in her step. The teens stay put even as she comes right up to them, leaning closer as she scrutinizes them. Leonardo takes a step away from her.

"Can I help you?" he asks.

"How do you do it?" she asks. "Magic? Science?"

Leonardo blinks. "Pardon?"

She steps around Leonardo, trying to get a better look at Destiny. "And what are you?" she asks. "Some kind of beast? Un tigre? Those scars must be—"

"What the actual s—" Destiny cuts herself off, quickly switching her words. "—hell are you talking about?"

"Mamá!"

They both look over as Taylor sprints towards them, eyes wide despite the clear anger on her face. She grabs her mother's arm and tugs her away, fuming.

"Taylor, I was just asking—"

"I told you to leave it be!"

"But I must know!"

"Taylor, what's going on?" Leonardo utters, brow furrowing.

Taylor whirls to him. "She saw Raph. My dad did too."

Destiny's mouth falls open and Leonardo immediately tenses. He looks up the beach and, sure enough, Jack is huddled underneath one of the umbrellas, staring into the distance like he's questioning everything. At least he doesn't look as shell-shocked as Kirby O'Neil.

"Where is he?" Leonardo asks.

"Changing hut, just up the path," Taylor explains. "I have to find Donnie and Sarina."

"They went further up the beach to look for tide pools," Destiny says.

"We'll check on Raph," Leonardo says. "Des—"

She's already taking his hand and leading him away. Taylor turns to her mother, trying her best not to huff like a bull, and Bianca is still smiling like this is all some fun revelation.

"Mamá, please—" Taylor begs. "This is not the time or place!"

Bianca's smile finally falls into a sad pout. "But...I'm just happy to know what's going on! Now I can find out who your friends really are and be a part of—"

"Maybe they don't want you to find out! Maybe I didn't want you to find out!"

She gasps as she presses her hand to her chest. "But I'm your mamá! You don't keep secrets from—"

"You're not my mamá!" Taylor snaps and, again, Bianca gasps again like she's been slapped. "You haven't been there for me. You were never there, not when I needed you, and you can't come waltzing back into my life just to pretend everything's okay! You don't give a shit about me!"

"Mi princesita, it's far more complicated than—"

Taylor holds her hand up. "No, listen for once in your life. You made your choice when you left us. You don't get to be a part of my life only when it's convenient for you! I have a new family and it doesn't include you."