Chapter 24: Casey's Femme-Filled Day

School. Why does it have to be school?

To be fair, Casey's been doing his best to kick it into gear and actually get going on his life path. If he doesn't, he risks getting held back, and that would be embarrassing enough in and of itself.

At lunch, he heads to the cafeteria in search of his usual girl gang. Going to their table is muscle memory at this point. He could find his way blindfolded and deaf.

Maybe he's just overconfident, because when he reaches the table, it's empty. He frowns, shifting the hockey stick on his shoulder as he glances around. He's sure this is the spot. Did the girls decide to sit elsewhere today? April and Annalise have their school newspaper club and photography club, respectively, and Taylor's been talking to her old bandmates again.

Casey sighs, glancing around the cafeteria. He could eat with the hockey team or some of them, at least. There's this new kid on the team, Brayden, and he rubs Casey in all the wrong ways.

"Jones!"

He whips his head around just as Annalise appears. She snatches his arm and tugs him with all her strength, which isn't much, but Casey humours her and follows.

"Sup, Blondie?" he asks.

"Well..." Annalise starts to grin, her eyes glittering. "I bought a handheld game console! It's awesome. You can set it up anywhere and play with friends, so April and Taylor are playing a wicked game of Mario Kart in the student lounge right now. Wouldn't be complete without you, though!"

Casey takes a moment to feel touched, then flashes a grin. "Let me guess, Best Buy?" he asks.

"Employee discount, bay-bee!"

She laughs, still jittery with excitement, and Casey keeps following her. They reach the student lounge and head inside. The student lounge at Roosevelt High isn't the best, but it's enough. There are a few couches and armchairs, some tables, and a few old computers, all supervised by the offices of the school guidance counsellors. This is where people go when they have a spare period and just want to hang out, take a nap, or (apparently) play some video games during lunch.

Sure enough, April and Taylor are locked in a head-to-head racing match. The screen they're playing on is no bigger than a tablet and the controllers seem even smaller, but they're smiling and to Casey, that's enough.

"Hola! Bienvenido a la fiesta, amigo," Taylor says, briefly looking up and jerking her head in greeting.

"You're just in time to watch me defeat Taylor," April agrees. She frowns, then grins, and Taylor dissolves into muttering Spanish under her breath.

"Count us in for the next game," Annalise says, hurrying over to the couch and seating herself next to Taylor. She looks up at Casey and winks. "I sprung for the extra controllers."

"Nice," Casey says, taking the remaining spot next to April. It's a little cramped, but no one complains.

When April manages to snag first place, seconds ahead of Taylor, there's a surge of laughter and shouted Spanish that sounds halfway between threats and jokes. Taylor shakes her head, sinking back into the couch with a pout as Casey grins at April.

"That's my Red!" he says.

"Pssh," she mumbles, smiling to herself. "You won't be so happy when I destroy you next round."

"Is that a challenge? Casey Jones doesn't back down from a challenge."

"Ay, amor. Repugnante," Taylor groans.

"I bet you and Raph are mushier," Annalise retorts.

Taylor blinks. "Hey, Spanish is supposed to be my secret language! Don't go learning it!"