CXXXI. Bonding With Master Splinter

Leonardo

Splinter watches as Destiny and Leonardo leave the lair. Dean sits on the floor in front of the wise rat, his wild blue eyes watching his grandfather intently.

"Well, my grandson, it is just you and I tonight," Splinter says, taking his hand and helping him up before they walk back to the dojo.

Dean giggles and wags his tail. Inside the dojo, Splinter sits down in front of the tree. Dean crawls over to the mutant rat, putting his tiny hands on his knee and grinning an adorable fanged smile.

"Grandpa," he coos.

"Hello Dean." Splinter smiles, lifting the boy into his lap.

Dean keeps smiling pleasantly, reaching up and touching the rat's muzzle and thin beard. Splinter only gazes lovingly at the boy, the sparkling blue eyes reminding him of Leonardo at the same age.

"Why...why you sit around quiet lots?" Dean asks.

Splinter chuckles. "I meditate. It relaxes the mind and calms my nerves."

The young mutant grins even wider. "I try?"

He nods. "I can try to teach you, my child. You must remain very focused, and it's alright if you don't get it right away. Meditation is a skill that takes practice. Do you understand?"

Dean nods eagerly, hugging Splinter's neck. The rat smiles and pats his back, watching his tail wag.

Raphael

Splinter watches Copeland as she wanders around the dojo, looking at the racks of weapons with curious hazel eyes.

"What that?" she asks, pointing to a row of ninja stars.

"Those are shuriken," Splinter answers.

"What those?" She points to a row of various other weapons.

The rat stands and moves to the small turtle girl, smiling lightly.

"Those are various ninja weapons. There's sai, katanas, a chigiriki, a hanbō, kamas-"

"What ch-riki?" she asks, frowning as she stumbles over the difficult word.

"A chigiriki. It is a spiked ball and chain attached to a staff, in simple terms."

Her eyes glint. "Cool!"

He chuckles, only able to think of how her enthusiasm for weapons matches Raphael's.

"One day, once you are ready, you'll get your own weapon," he says.

She grabs his hand, hopping a little bit on the balls of her feet and sending her dark ponytail swinging.

"I hope I get ch-riki!" she says boldly.

"We'll see, child. We'll see."

Donatello

Asher and Dakota play with blocks and other toys as Splinter watches. Every now and then, Dakota's eye will flash, making Asher giggle. Splinter only smiles.

He's noticed something about his grandchildren. Dakota is more serious and logical than her brother, calculating and planning, yet still having fun all at the same time. Asher doesn't seem to be like that, focusing on the artistic appeal of whatever activity they're doing. He seems to enjoy building more.

Splinter almost forgot that Asher won't necessarily be as smart as Donatello. His intelligent mind may be on creation and arts more so than scientific discovery. Perhaps he gained his father's love of building. After all, he is adopted. His personality can be different.

Then again, the wise rat thinks. I see myself in my sons so often, and they are adopted.

"Grandpa?" Asher asks, standing to his unsteady feet and toddling over to the rat.

"Yes, Asher?"

"Will I get tooth gap like daddy?" he asks, grinning a tiny bit.

His teeth have started to grow, although not enough to know if the infamous tooth gap will arrive. Perhaps his mutation through Donatello's touch will bring the gap to him. Splinter has noticed this, looking over the turtle with loving eyes.

He hums as he thinks, stroking his goatee. "I do not know. We'll have to wait and see."

Dakota stands, moving to the two male mutants.

"Grandpa, I have questions too," she announces, sitting down on his lap.

"What would that be, Dakota?"

"Will I be able to blast stuff with my palms like mommy?" She thrusts her palms out, making a small explosion noise and shaking her white-haired head for emphasis.

Asher nods in agreement, looking to his grandfather with eagerness. Again, the rat strokes his goatee thoughtfully.

"Again, as I told your brother, only time will tell," he answers finally. "Even if you can't, your parents and I will teach you how to use ninjutsu."

Both twins grin at the idea of being like their mom and dad.

Michelangelo

Mitch hobbles around, laughing and giggling as he runs. Splinter watches, feeling exhausted just by looking at the hyperactive boy.

I raised Michelangelo. I can watch his son for an evening, the rat reminds himself tiredly.

"Grandpa play!" Mitch squeals, practically bouncing to Splinter's side.

"Mitchell, I am much older than you. I do not have the energy to play with you for hours and hours," Splinter says kindly. "I already played tag and everything else you requested."

Mitch frowns, sitting down crosslegged and facing his grandfather. "Why you tired?"

He smiles a little. "It's what happens when you get older."

"Getting older don't seem fun..."

"It isn't in some ways, but you learn to appreciate it. After all, if people never grew older..." He chuckles a little. "Well, it'd be a planet full of babies."

The curly-haired boy shakes his head and sticks his tongue out. "No baby world."

"Indeed."

Mitch hugs Splinter's tail, shutting his eyes and grinning contentedly.

"But...still don't wanna grow up," he mumbles, stifling a yawn.

Splinter pulls the boy into his lap, sighing with relief. He runs his hand over his shining curls, nodding a little as the boy drifts off to sleep.

"We all try to never grow up, and yet, it still happens," he murmurs to no one in particular.