Chapter 45: Art and Aquariums

Splinter has to admit that, even though no woman's beauty could ever match Shen's in his heart, Leanne Hughes is the first who has ever come close. He isn't sure whether it's just her appearance, so lovely in all its simplicity, or if it's in the nervous yet delighted smile she gives him when they meet up in front of the Guggenheim Museum.

"I hope I didn't keep you waiting too long," she says. She reaches to fiddle with her hair, fluffing it before tucking a few strands behind her ear.

"I had only just arrived. Do not worry," he replies. He gestures towards the building. "Are you ready to go in? I have already purchased our tickets."

Her eyes widen. "Oh, I...I was prepared to pay. I wasn't sure...if..."

He chuckles as she waves her hands around awkwardly. "I have my ways."

They enter the gallery and for the next hour or two, they walk together, admiring the paintings and sculptures on display and making small talk. Splinter finds that, even when they're just standing next to each other in silence, it is comforting to have her company.

"I always thought that people who could interpret art seemed so cultured. It makes you seem well-rounded, intelligent," she admits as they stare at a large abstract piece. "Thomas was the type for that. I bet he would have an idea of what this could mean within seconds of looking at it."

Splinter smiles a little, hands folded behind his back. The painting is...interesting. Not his taste, but he tries to appreciate it. There's lots of yellow, green, and red, with the most notable part of the piece being a yellow striped hourglass-shaped object, labelled with the Roman numerals for one, two, and three. A lavender purple backdrop sits behind, covered in splotches of seemingly random colours.

"I think art is what you make of it," he says. "And though I have looked at this piece for a solid amount of time, all I can think is that its use of colour is very...eye-catching."

Leanne moves closer, eyeing the placard next to it. "No. 7, Adulthood. 1907. By Hilma af Klint." She looks at the painting, then the info. "Huh...originally painted on paper, then stuck onto canvas. It was part of a series. This one is meant to represent adulthood in full bloom."

She steps back to his side and again, they stare at the picture. Splinter supposes there are a few flowers that could hint at blooming. There's a white gourd-shaped object next to the yellow hourglass—maybe meant to show a parent and child, or youth growing into adulthood.

"Splinter?" she asks.

"Yes?"

"I don't think I'm very cultured."

He lets out a low chuckle, turning away briefly as his hand moves to his chin. "I am no art connoisseur either."

She laughs softly and they move on to the next piece. Still, Splinter finds that, despite not understanding the meaning of the art at a glance, the idea of blooming adulthood sticks in his mind. He thinks of his sons, and the girls he has some to see as his daughters, and he's struck with a melancholy feeling that is not unfamiliar to him.

He will not always be here and, when his time comes, he wonders if his sons will be alright. He is sure he set them up well when it comes to protecting themselves and others, and he hopes that the moral lessons he has tried so hard to instill in them will remain even when he isn't around to recite them verbatim. And what of grandchildren, if such miracles could occur? Will he get to see them grow up too?

Perhaps it is time to have a personal discussion with Leonardo.

"Are you alright?"

He blinks. Leanne looks up at him with wide eyes and he shakes his head as if to clear the rampant thoughts from his mind.