CXLXX. Time For Change

Years pass, seven years to be exact. The Hamato children train and grow stronger by the day, honing their skills and becoming ninjas and kunoichis like their parents before them.

Years are spent being homeschooled, learning history, math, science, and everything in between from their parents. Dean takes the most interest in honing his ninjutsu and athleticism, wanting to be stronger and faster and better; he wants to be the warriors that his parents are. His pride is his biggest obstacle.

Copeland finds solace in music, ninjutsu coming close second. Despite having three thick fingers instead of five slim ones like her mother, she learns to play the guitar. Singing and playing music become the way she expresses her emotions. Like her father, emotions aren't something she deals with too well; anger comes before thought.

Dakota and Asher, although tightly knit, show their obvious separation. Dakota likes plain and simple, Asher likes complexity and flavourful. Both enjoy science, although Dakota enjoys the note taking and experiments whilst Asher enjoys building and tweaking.

Asher is quieter than his older sister. He finds that he likes music, but afraid to steal Copeland's spotlight, he sets that idea to the side. He's great at building. He's shown to be quite intelligent when it comes to it. Music isn't needed. He lacks confidence in himself above anything else.

Dakota consistently finds ways to improve her mind and her ninjutsu. Even so, she finds herself feeling less skilled than her cousins. None of the weapons suit her style, save for simple kunai knives; a simple weapon for a simple girl. She forgets that, sometimes, strength is not in size, but in the mind.

Mitch isn't as dumb as his cousins sometimes treat him. Sure, he likes food and skateboarding and video games, but he isn't an idiot. He's just a party dude, the ray of sunshine that his team needs. Mitch doesn't mind being the idiot of the team, just so long as they realize that his potential is far greater. His flighty disposition fail to keep him grounded when he needs it most.

Venus grows fast, showing her eagerness for ninjutsu. The Hamatos quickly realize that containing the young turtle won't be easy. She may be sweet and naïve, but she's just as strong-hearted as her mother before her. Her age is her greatest enemy; at seven years old, she's treated as something to protect. She's still so young, yet she wants so much. Patience is a virtue that she has yet to learn.

At fourteen years old, the five older Hamato children are called to the dojo. Venus tags along, bursting with excitement. No one knows just why they're being gathered, but they're about to find out.

They watch their parents with curious eyes as Leonardo gets to his feet. Master Splinter smiles at his grandchildren, knowing what the blue-masked turtle is about to announce.

One sentence changes everything.

"You're going to school...on the surface."