A Slippery Slope

"Hey Mads! What are you up to today?" I turned to see my cousin walking over to me in the large employee locker room.

"Nothing really.  I'm just on call today for whoever wants a lesson."  I finished closing the clasps on my boots and grabbed my coat out of my locker. 

"Ugh, lucky," she groaned.  I laughed at how dramatic she was being.  "I have lessons until four today."

"Ah but think of how accomplished you'll feel when they're over!"  I nudged her and laughed when she slumped against the locker next to mine. 

"Come on let's get going." I shut my locker and we headed out the door, grabbing our radios along the way. Once we were outside, we grabbed our skis and split our separate ways, her heading towards the ski rental area where students waited for their instructor and me toward the lift.

After a few runs on the mountains fresh powder, I found myself riding the lift with a stranger.

"My names Jay," he spoke, extending his gloved hand for me to shake. I lifted my goggles onto my helmet and shook his hand.

"Madison. Are you from around here?" I asked.

"Uh, kind of. I recently bought a place close to town but I'm originally from Colorado. You?"

"Born and raised here."

"That's cool. How long have you worked here?" He pointed toward the resort's logo on my coat.

"I started as a lift kid in high school but I've been teaching for about four seasons now." He nodded and we sat in comfortable silence as we got to the top of the mountain. We pushed off the lift and both turned toward the trail on the mountain.

"Wanna race?" I asked, giving him a challenging look as we sat at the first of the hill.

"I don't know," he spoke and I tilted my head, egging him on. "I'd rather not see you cry." My jaw popped open in fake disbelief and I quickly pulled my goggles back down.

"See you down there," I pushed off, Jay immediately behind me. We raced down the hill, the wind whipping past us, the tops of my cheeks burning slightly with the sting of the cold air. He flew off of a jump to the right of the trail, putting me just a few more feet ahead of him. As the lodge came into view, I suddenly saw Jay out of the corner of my eye gaining on me. I tucked in as much as I could and pushed off of my skis a little hoping to maintain the ground I had on him before sliding to a halt in front of the lodge, him coming in not even a second behind me, accidentally sliding an inch too far and toppling over onto me. I felt the air whoosh out of my lungs as I hit the ground, the padding of the snow and my winter gear not helping in the least.

"Oh my gosh!  I'm so sorry are you alright?"

"I'd be better if I could breath," I wheezed, slowly getting my breath back.

"Shoot, here let me help you up," he reached down and helped me sit up before lifting me like I weighed nothing and placing me back onto my feet. He lifted his goggles up over his forehead and pulled his scarf down from over his mouth, letting me see his face.

"Is your head okay?" he looked into my eyes in worry and I noticed how blue his were. Icy, like the snow at the top of the mountains when the sun is setting on them. His lips were a dark red, accented by the dark stubble he was sporting.

"I really hope your lack of response is due to my good looks and not a concussion," he laughed, hands still on my waist, mine gripping his arms, still trying to regain balance.

"Ha," I let out a forced laugh, trying to get myself to form words and failing. "I'm sure I'll be okay, I just need a minute." I let go of his arms so I could take off my goggles and beanie, shaking some of the snow that was clinging to my hair. When I looked back at Jay, he was smiling like he knew a secret.