Trip to Spain {5}

Continued...

Jay shut the door behind us and we walked to the elevator.

"I'm really excited for tonight," Jay spoke, making eye contact with me as the doors to the elevator opened.

"Me too." We stepped forward into the elevator and our shoulders brushed against each other as we descended to the lobby. The restaurant was only a couple blocks away so we decided to walk there. As we walked along, I would point to random things and he would tell me how to say them in Spanish.

"Una tienda de cerámica," he said after I pointed at a store front.

"Que bonita," I spoke back with my rusty high school Spanish.

"Como tú," he said softly. I looked up at him and felt my stomach flutter when I saw him smiling down at me, his eyes reflecting the warm glow of the street lamps around us. I felt the corners of my mouth turn up into a soft smile, and we both slowed to a stop on the sidewalk.

"What does that mean?"

"Like you," he stated.

"Gracias." My smile was huge and we turned toward the restaurant and were seated at a table on the patio.  The waiter took our drink orders and smiled at my request for "agua, por favor" and Jay saying "yo también."  Jay moved his chair closer to mine and translated some things on the menu for me.  We ended up ordering some empanadas de carne for both of us.  Once we had ordered and the waiter left with our menus, I was delighted to realize that Jay was going to keep his chair close to mine rather than across the table like before. 

"So has Spain been everything you've expected so far?" He asked.

"It's been better than I expected," I smiled at him thinking of the people we had been able to talk to and the beautiful areas we had seen.  "It's also been really fun getting to spend more time with you."

"I've liked spending more time with you, too," his voice was soft. "I mean, don't get too excited," he said at a regular volume. "Your dad is probably still my favorite member of the family," he teased, giving me an apathetic shrug then laughing at the glare I gave him.

"I guess he's pretty alright," we laughed.  "So what's been your favorite trip you've gone on?" I asked.  "Other than this one, of course."

"That's a good question," he thought for a moment before responding.  "I really enjoyed Mexico."

"Why?"

"We usually go to big cities and don't have any time to see any place other than the job site but once when we went to Mexico the job was in a small town that had received a huge donation from some athlete to build a community rec center."  I smiled, enjoying how animated Jay was being with his story.

"There were always people who made lunch for all of the workers everyday and homemade authentic mexican food is unbelievably good.  They had a ton of volunteers that helped me and your dad install the wall so we got done a whole day early and spent the next day helping out around the center to finish some other jobs like the bathrooms and stuff.  The people were all so amazing and grateful and we got to play soccer. It was so fun to see your dad dribble around guys half his age.  It was almost like he had spent the whole trip needing a translator and then finally found a way to fit in."  I beamed hearing that my dad was able to be in his element like that.  He had played soccer his whole youth and through college but hadn't gone professional.  When me and my siblings came along he coached all of our leagues, from rec to competitive, until we played high school.  I had stopped after high school but I had no doubt my sister was going to play for a college team since she was already being looked at by colleges as a sophomore. 

"That's so cool," I cooed.  "You and my dad are such a cute couple," I teased. 

"Pfft, whatever." He blushed and my grin stretched further.  "I guess we're pretty cute."  We laughed and the waiter came back with our food.  We enjoyed the food and talked about some funny stories from different family parties that he had been to.  It was such a fun dinner and felt easy, like we had known each other forever.  When we finished eating Jay paid the bill and we started walking back towards the hotel. 

"Want to walk around a little bit longer?" Jay asked.

I smiled and nodded, and we turned to the right, walking away from the hotel. I felt Jay's hand brush against mine and I intertwined our fingers, taking a peek at Jay's face from the corner of my eye to see him sporting a small blush but a big grin. We walked around for a while, hearing distant street performances and enjoying the calm away from the more tourist dense streets. We eventually reached a spot that overlooked a small area of the town and leant against the wall, letting go of each other's hands. We were looking at the view below us when a slight breeze came and raised goosebumps along my arms making me hug my arms a bit tighter around myself.

"Cold?" Jay asked, putting his arm around me. I leaned into him as he hugged me and took most of the wind.

"If you're too cold we can head back to the hotel?" He asked, leaning away a bit to look at me.

"This has been a perfect night," I spoke. "I don't know that I want it to end."

He smiled down at me and sighed, "You're just saying that because we're in Spain."

"We could be back in Utah and I'd still want to hang out with you," I rolled my eyes at him.

"So you've been checking me out this whole time, not just this trip?!" I burst into laughter at the fake shock on his face. "I thought it was the elevation change making you have interest in me but I must actually be built like a Greek god!" I shoved him as he held his arm up in a flex.

"You are so dumb!" I laughed at him as he did random poses.

"Hey, wait. Come back here," he laughed, grabbing my waist and pulling me back to him. I smiled up at him, my arms resting around his waist. I held my breath as he looked down at me and his face became more serious. He brought his hand to the side of my face and brushed his thumb across my cheekbone, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.

"Want to hear a confession?" He asked and I nodded. "I really want to kiss you right now but I know that I would never be able to kiss you again if I did," he whispered. My eyebrows furrowed and I felt the butterflies in my stomach flutter nervously.

"It's just that we're in Spain next to this wonderful view and you can literally hear music from the street musicians a few blocks down and I'd be setting the bar so high that you'd be disappointed every time I kiss you after this." He sighed in resignation, having run out of breath after his rant.

"Just kiss me so that I don't remember where we are and all I can think about is you." I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled him down to me, connecting our lips. Everything faded into the background as Jay hugged me against him, picking me up so my feet weren't touching the ground anymore. When we pulled apart, he spun us around making me squeal.

"Stop you're going to make me dizzy!" I hugged him tightly, afraid I'd slip somehow and go flying. We walked back to the hotel, fingers intertwined and huge smiles on our faces.

When we got to the room, I went to open the door and was stopped by Jay turning me around and kissing me again. It was so unexpected I nearly dropped my phone and the key card. 

"What was that for?" I asked when I could finally form a sentence, my eyes struggling to look away from his lips.

"Just wanted to make sure it wasn't the view that made the kiss amazing, it was the person I was with."

El Fin

#VoteIfYaWanna