I've Got You Haven't I?

"Dad! Where are you?" I shouted into my phone. This was the fifth time I had called him and the first time he had actually answered. He now had four angry voicemails and one extremely frustrated daughter.

"Work. Why?" He said like his eighteen year old daughter wasn't going to punch him in the throat when he walked through the door.

"Because you're suppose to be home! I have plans at 4:30 and it is currently 4:27! I need you to come home now, dad!"

"Sorry! Jeez. You sound like your mother."

"If that's what it takes to get you home then I don't care if I sound like mom. Just hurry!"

"Okay. I should be home soon, I just have to close up shop. Love you, bye." My dad said quickly and hung up before I could get a word in.

"This is going to be so embarrassing." I mumbled to myself. I hurried and ran around the house, cleaning up the kitchen and living room. I was so busy throwing the dishes from the sink haphazardly into the dishwasher that I almost didn't hear the doorbell ring.

"Ah!" I screamed and jumped a little bit. "Come in!" I yelled, not turning from the sink. "Unless you're a murderer or a salesman then please go away and come another day!" I kept washing the dishes and nearly jumped out of my skin when I felt arms wrap around me, a little below my shoulders.

I heard a deep, gravelly voice, growl behind me. "Don't move."

I started to freak and looked down at his hands that were holding onto my arms to see that he didn't have a weapon. I looked down and stomped my heel as hard as I could onto his foot. The man holding me instantly let go and held where I had hit him. I grabbed the frying pan that I was washing and turned to see Jay, holding his foot in pain.

"Oh my gosh! Jay, I am so sorry! I seriously thought you were a bad guy!" I dropped the pan back into the sink and helped Jay hop to the living room and sit on one of the recliners we had.

"Wow. Your shoes must be made of steel or something because that hurt pretty bad." Jay still held onto his sneaker clad foot.

"I am so sorry!" I covered my face with my hands. I felt like a complete idiot.

I was stopped by hearing Jay laugh.

"What's so funny? I could have seriously injured you? What if your foot is broken? What if you can never walk on it again? Or I severed some nerves or something and you'll never be able to feel it again? That's a thing, right?" I looked back at Jay.

"Maddy, it's fine. I've broken a fair amount of bones in my lifetime, my foot included. I think I would know if it was broken. Also, it hurts pretty bad so I think I would know if the nerves weren't working." Jay stood up, and applied some pressure to his foot.

"See? I'm fine. No damage here." Jay went to walk towards me but fell just as he put all of his weight on the foot I had injured. Seeing as I had been standing right in front of him, he fell right on top of me, both of us landing on the couch.

"Well, hello there." Jay said, his face showcasing his embarrassment.

"Hi." I barely whispered, seeing as he was about three inches away from my face.

We sat there awkwardly for what felt like forever but I'm sure was only a minute before we heard a door open and the sound of large footsteps on the floor.

"It's my dad!" I whispered-shouted.

"Shoot!" Jay rolled off of me, landing on the floor with an 'oomph'.

"Maddy! Where are you?!" I heard my dad shout through the house.

"Get up! He'll ask why you're on the floor!" I shoved Jay into the recliner he had been in earlier.