Matching Marks (Prinxiety & Logicality)

January 10th, 2021
Requested by theshinyprof 

A/N: I could be talked into writing a part 2 of this if enough people want it! 

Also, if you wouldn't mind, please go check out Loiosh and his book "Tales of Vyscher" Book 1. He's my step-dad and he really enjoys writing, but doesn't get to share it often. I helped him set up an account on here so that he could get some feedback. He's a fantasy writer so you like that stuff and have a few minutes, please go check out his book and let him know what you think so far! He'd really appreciate it!

Soulmates were something most people spent their lives looking for. They could be romantic, platonic, or familial, leading to instances of people having more than one in some cases. Soulmates were indicated by soul marks which appeared on the skin of both people in the relationship. It contained symbols or words that represented both participants. Some people liked to flaunt their marks and sought to find their soulmate, or soulmates, as quickly as possible. Others wanted to meet their soulmate naturally, not going out of their way to cover it, but not revealing it either. The placement of the mark helped determine their decision.

Virgil Black had one soulmate. He knew this because he had one soul mark that was located on his back. He'd only seen it in pictures and sometimes he could see it in the mirror if he looked. It was a large shield with an elegant design on it. There was a storm cloud at the top, hovering over a castle. Under the castle were roses whose stems twisted together with the bottom of the shield. 

According to his best friend, Patton, his mark was one of the most beautiful he'd ever seen, though he was sure he was exaggerating. If he was honest, it worried him how big it was and how intricate the lines were.

His friend and his soulmate, Logan, shared a simple mark on the backs of their neck. It was an atom with a nucleus shaped like a heart. It wasn't hard for Virgil to figure out that the soul mark represented Logan's intellect and Patton's heart. They were an "opposites attract" situation in many ways, but there was no doubt that they were meant for each other.

Virgil lived in their guest bedroom at the moment. He was a struggling artist, trying to create new works of art for his blog despite his recent art block. He was fortunate enough that Logan and Patton refused to let him pay for rent. While he certainly made some money from commissions and websites like Redbubble, he didn't have nearly enough income to cover a monthly rent; though, he had offered to do so when he first moved in and the two had shot him down immediately. 

He stared at his sketchbook and tapped the tip of his pencil lead against it, trying to come up with something, anything, to draw. There was a certain emptiness in his head that made him want to lay down and stare at the ceiling.

A heavy sigh escaped his lips. Virgil closed the sketchbook and stood up from his desk. He couldn't bare to look at the blank page taunting him any longer. He trudged down the hallway into the open kitchen and living room. Patton was preparing some sort of baked delicacy that already smelled incredible. It brightened his mood just a little bit.

He looked up and smiled as he saw him. "Hey Virgil! How goes the art?"

"Not good..." he mumbled, taking a seat at the counter to talk to him. Patton frowned and tilted his head questioningly. "I just can't seem to get any inspiration. It feels like I always create similar things, and that's fine, but right now, I'm struggling to make anything, you know? Even the most common subjects are causing me to struggle. It's infuriating..."

A lump was caught in Virgil's throat as he spoke his feelings out loud. He swallowed harshly as he tried to hold back frustrated tears. He took deep breaths as he buried his face in his hands.