The Umbrella (Prinxiety)

May 19th, 2019
A/N: Sorry about the lack of requested posts, I've just gotta make time to actually finish those, but I'll try to get one up this week!

Virgil had been having a really shitty day. Nothing had gone right for him, at all. 

First of all, he was late to school that morning because his father had been out all night doing God knows what and he had to walk because he was too passed out to drive him. Then he realized that there was a homework assignment due in his second period class that he hadn't finished. In fourth period, there was a test he'd forgotten to study for and most likely failed. He hadn't had the time to pack a lunch so he was starving, and then all his other classes were full of classwork and loud kids that gave him a headache. On top of all of this, he'd only been going to this school for a few weeks, so he was still the weird new kid with no friends. 

Now, it was pouring rain and he was sitting on the front steps of the school with his cellphone held to his ear. It was ringing over and over again as he called his father. Virgil prayed he would pick up, not wanting to walk home in this weather. It was cold, the rain was heavy, and he was exhausted to the point of crying. 

The call went to voicemail, causing his arm to fall limply by his side as he sat down on the steps miserably. The darkly dressed boy couldn't help the single frustrated tear that managed to escape his eye as he sniffed and reached up to rub his face. 

The steps of the school weren't covered either, adding insult to injury as the water seeped into his clothes, soaking through to his skin. Fortunately, the rain hid the tears that had begun to roll down his cheeks more quickly. The only way someone would be able to tell that he was crying would be if they noticed his sniffling. 

Suddenly, the rain stopped hitting him. "Having a rough day?" a sweet and concerned voice asked above him.

Virgil looked up quickly with shimmering eyes, seeing one of the most beautiful boys he'd ever seen. He radiated confidence and there wasn't a flaw to be found on his face or anywhere else for that matter. He was holding a red umbrella and shielding him from the rain in the process. 

"What's wrong?" he asked gently, sitting down beside him and keeping him from getting any wetter with his umbrella. 

The darkly dressed boy sniffled as he reached up to wipe his nose with his sleeve. "J-Just... nothing's going right today is all..." he mumbled. He felt embarrassed that this kid had caught him crying. "And I have to walk home in the rain because my father won't pick me up."

"Oh no, why won't he pick you up?" the boy asked, looking concerned and confused. 

"He... He had a rough night last night," Virgil said cautiously. He didn't like talking about his father's alcoholism, and he didn't think that it would make for a good conversation topic for their first meeting. "Anyway... what's your name?"

He smiled brightly at his question and straightened his posture. "The name's Roman Prince," he answered, extending his hand. "What's yours?"

"Uh... Virgil Black," he managed, shaking his hand shyly. 

"I like it, it suits you very well," Roman replied. That's when a car pulled up in front of the steps and honked. The princely boy looked up and blinked. "Oh! That's my ride, my brother Logan graduated early so he doesn't have to go to school anymore."

The darkly dressed boy nodded. "That's cool, it was nice talking to you..."

"Here," he said, offering him the umbrella, making Virgil's eyes widen drastically. "Take it, you need it more than I do. I hope your day gets better."

"O-Oh, thank you," he said as a furious blush crossed his cheeks. 

He took the umbrella from him as Roman waved goodbye and headed to his car. As soon as the princely boy got inside, his brother raised an eyebrow at him. "So, what was that all about?" Logan questioned as he began to pull away from the school. "Do you have a new boyfriend I should be informed about?"

"What? No, no, he's just a friend," he argued, blushing a little at the thought as he looked at Virgil fading into the distance with the umbrella still in his hand. His smile grew. "Just a very cute friend..."