Longing (Anxceit)

May 11th, 2018

Anxiety felt nervous. That wasn't a surprise, but today it felt different. He hated feeling like he was being watched. He kept looking around for a source of the tingling on the back of his neck. He saw nothing, but knew there was something there.

"W-Whoever's watching me- please come o-out and s-show yourself," he called fearfully, spinning around.

"You should be more careful about where you wonder to..."

Virgil gasped, whipping around upon hearing a smooth and deep voice. A man had his face turned away from him, allowing him to see only half. "Who are you?"

"I'm Deceit, but I guess I should say 'I'm not Deceit' because everyone thinks I just speak in lies," he replied with an eye roll. "Why are you wandering this deep into this side of the mind?"

"I just appeared here, sorry to be a bother, I can leave," Virgil said quickly, shaking a little from nerves.

Deceit looked confused, tilting his head so he could see all of his face. A slight gasp escaped Virgil's lips upon seeing his piercing yellow eyes and the snake scales on the other half of his face, along with a frightening scar on his cheek.

He seemed to realize what he'd done, turning his face away again. "Sorry, didn't mean to scare you," he said, rubbing the back of his neck. "You said you just showed up? What Side are you?"

"I'm Anxiety... I think..." he answered, looking down at his hands uncertainly.

Deceit looked him up and down in realization. "Oh, you're a Dark Side too," he said with a nod. "In that case, would you like me to show you around?"

He offered a gloved yellow hand to him, making Virgil's eyes widen as he looked at it. "It's not going to bite you, although I might if you want me to," he said with a flirtatious wink. The anxious Side flushed and laughed a little, taking his hand. Deceit led him around for a while before he gasped. "Oh! Come with me! I have to show you my favorite place!"

Virgil followed the enthusiastic Side as he led him through a tricky path, gasping as they reached a hill that gave them a perfect view of the Good Mind Palace. "Wow!" he gasped as he looked at the shimmering structure in the distance. "It's beautiful!"

"I love coming here to just... imagine what it'd be like to be a Light Side," Deceit said, sitting down in the black grass with a wistful sigh. "They're so looked up to, and adored... they can do anything they want, even leave the mind."

The anxious Side had sat down next to him, giving him a curious look. "We can leave the mind too though..."

"Yeah, but they 'sink up' and Thomas usually wants to see them," he explained. "If you or I left the mind, we'd just appear and I promise that he wouldn't be pleased to see us. Being a Dark Side sucks..."

They were quiet for a while, just looking at the palace in the distance. They both wondered what it would be like to live there and be looked up to like that. They both longed for that feeling of being wanted. Virgil got an idea when he looked at Deceit sad face. "I'd certainly be pleased to see you, De," he said, smiling a little in his direction.

"Yeah?" he asked as he put his hand over his as he nodded. "I'd be pretty pleased to see you too, Anx."