Love Knows No Status (Prinxiety)

May 12th, 2019

When Virgil was a little boy, he worked in the gardens of the royals. His father was poor and he was one of many people put to work tending to the vast stretches of land and gardens owned by the royal family.

He worked alongside him because there was nothing else a poor kid like him too do. Constantly covered in dirt and pitifully skinny, the kitchen staff would sometimes bring him free pastries as a reward for his hard work.

If Virgil had to pick something he enjoyed the most about working as a kid in the royal gardens, it was that every so often, he'd catch a glimpse of one of the young princes.

Roman remembered being a child in the palace. He was constantly getting schooling and training of sorts to prepare him for the life of a prince as he grew older, but sometimes during his free afternoons, he'd look out his window at the people tending to the gardens.

Just below him, close enough for him to make out the ratty brown hair and dirt covered pale skin, was a boy that looked about his age. He looked up as Roman gazed down at him.

As their eyes met, the prince smiled and raised a hand to wave at him. The boy looked shocked and began to raise a hand to wave back, but a man he presumed was his father came over and scolded him, making him hang his head and not look back at Roman.

He didn't forget about the boy, and any chance he'd get to look out at the garden workers, he'd wave to him. Sometimes he'd even wave back before hurrying off so that he wouldn't get in trouble.

Virgil remembered the harsh words of his late father about his habit of waving to the prince. He'd always said it wasn't right for people of their status to interact with royalty without permission. His constant worrying was passed onto him when he died.

It seemed the role of a garden tender was also passed onto him. He began to work in the royal gardens for real, receiving the monthly salary and staying the servants' quarters.

As he grew into the working age, Roman grew even busier with his studies and training. He never had time to look for the boy below in the garden, and eventually forgot to look whenever he had the chance. Though it was proved later that he hadn't entirely forgotten him.

The two grew into adulthood, and fate pulled them together. Virgil was tending to the gardens and Roman wanted some fresh air.

The gardener was rounding the corner of the hedge work when he collided straight into the prince. They both hit the ground and Virgil shook out his dirty hair in a daze. He looked up to see the most beautiful young man he'd ever seen, placing him immediately in his mind as the young prince.

"Oh my god, I'm so terribly sorry," he rushed out as he hurried to assist the royal to his feet.

"It's quite alright," Roman assured him with a smile. "I must admit that I wasn't watching where I was going. That was my fault."

Virgil looked him up and down, paling a little as he realized he'd gotten his suit dirty. "Oh god, I hope that doesn't stain. I'm so sorry-"

"You seem familiar..." the prince said suddenly. He eyed him thoughtfully, seemingly unbothered by the dirt on his white trousers. "Have we met before?"

The gardener reached up to fidget with his hair as he shifted on his feet. "I don't believe we have, your Highness, though..." he began, looking as though he was blushing. "I used to wave at you as I worked whenever you were at your window."

"Oh, yes! Yes! I know you," Roman said. He grinned and took his hand. Despite the dirt that clearly stained his fair skin, he raised it to his lips. "It's a pleasure to finally meet your acquaintance."

Virgil's lips grew hot as he stared at the prince in disbelief. "I- Uh- I can't believe you remember me," he managed.

"I couldn't forget those eyes, they haven't changed," he explained, releasing his hand with a charming smile in his direction. "Say, why don't you accompany me for a cup of tea? I could use someone to talk to."

"Oh, I hardly think that's proper of me," Virgil said, fidgeting. "I'm just a grounds keeper after all, your Highness."

The prince grasped his hand again. "I insist. I care not what your status is," Roman said.

"I really must return to work," he argued, trying to pull his hand back.

This failed and the prince simply straightened his posture and gave him a knowing smile. "I didn't want to have to use this, but I command you as your prince so take a break from your duties and share a pot of tea with me," Roman instructed.

Virgil was speechless, but he couldn't disobey a direct order from the prince. He searched his gaze as he smiled and gave him a small wink.

"Well," he began, a small smile spreading across his own lips. "If you truly insist..."