Ducklings (Logicality)

June 13th, 2021
A/N: Sorry I keep disappearing! I've been having a lot of trouble with my motivation levels lately! I haven't done a first person pov one shot in a really long time, so here! Have this adorable-ness!

Logan's POV:
When you live with someone like Patton Valentine, you become accustomed to strange and impulsive things happening from day to day. I'm a very level-headed man, so these things can be a bit difficult for me to understand. I do, however, try my best to be supportive of my eccentric boyfriend.

This is why I didn't yell at him when I came home to find him in the bathroom with a box full of three small ducklings.

Patton was petting one of them as it sat perfectly in his hand. His eyes were full of wonder and pure, unadulterated joy. If it wasn't my job to be the voice of reason in our relationship, I wouldn't have even bothered him.

"Patton, why are there ducklings in our bathroom?"

My boyfriend looked up at me in surprise, having not heard me come in. He smiled and clambered to put the duckling he was holding back in the large box. He then leapt to his feet. "Logan! Welcome home! How was-"

"You're not getting out of this, love," I cut him off, arching an eyebrow. "Answer the question please."

He pouted and sat back down with the box. "Okay fine... I found them in a parking lot, they were all alone and there was no water or anything in sight, so I just... scooped them up and brought them home," Patton said, smiling sheepishly. "They would've died if I left them there Logan! I had to help them! And besides, it's not actually that hard to care for ducks!"

Patton pulled out his phone and began explaining that they only live indoors during their duckling state due to needing to be warm. He said that they could live in our backyard once they were old enough and that they wouldn't be a problem. As he gushed about how they'll learn to be social with humans and cuddle with us, I looked down into the box. 

A heavy sigh escaped my lips as I adjusted my glasses. The idea of having ducks as pets was not one that I was fond of, but the ducklings would likely be drowned if we let them loose. 

My boyfriend's ramblings trailed off as he looked at me. I hadn't said anything yet, so he was looking at me nervously. I took a deep breath and looked him in the eye. "All things considered," I began, "you seem to have done your research. I don't like the idea, but I know that you'll be... very upset, if I say no; also, this is one of the... less crazy ideas you've had. I think that this could be doable."

"Wait... are you saying yes?!" Patton gasped, putting his hands on my shoulders. 

"Yes love, I'm saying yes," I replied, allowing the corner of my lips to quirk up in a smirk. His face lit up with a huge smile. I felt warmth spread through me as he hugged me tightly. I tried to maintain my reputation as the serious one as I continued. "Now you'll have to be ready to deal with the consequences of having them and needing to take care of them. We also have to prepare the backyard for them."

Patton nodded enthusiastically. "I'll do whatever I have to! Oh! Would you help me build a little duck house?! The articles say that it's a good idea to have a shelter for them so that if it storms or it gets cold, they can have a place to go. We could build them a cute little house with a little pond!"

I chuckled a little. "You're always so ambitious with your crazy ideas," I told him. I gave him a quick kiss to his cheek, pulling away to see his cheeks fill with red. "It's adorable."

He smiled and leaned into the box, picking up one of the ducklings and hold it up to me. "Well they met their new dad, you've got to introduce yourself, Logan," he instructed me. "You're their new mom! Oh, and we have to come up with names for them!"

I let the duckling hop into my outstretched hands. It looked up at me and let out a tiny quack. I couldn't help the fact that it was incredibly cute. As a smile spread across my lips, Patton let out a giddy noise. He clapped happily and leaned in to give me a lingering kiss on the cheek. "I love you so much Logan. Thank you for letting me indulge in my silliness."

"Of course," I said, feeling my own cheeks warm. "I love your silliness."