Happy Mother's Day (Platonic/Romantic Moceit)

May 10th, 2020

When Janus walked into the living room that morning, he wasn't expecting anything. He was still in his pajamas. Logan was sat at the kitchen table, reading a book. He glanced up at him momentarily but returned his gaze to the pages as he spoke. 

"Good morning Janus," he said kindly. "I hope today is pleasant for you."

The snake-like Side stopped, blinking rapidly as he looked toward him. He replayed Logan's words in his head several times before they registered. When they finally did, he nodded in confusion. "Thank you, Logan," he replied. "That's... strangely kind of you to say?"

"Just doing my part for the day," the logical Side stated, sinking out with his book

Janus stared at where he'd been for a moment and mentally went through the calendar. Was it national snake day? Or opposite day? Was he missing something? He wasn't certain, but he did know he needed coffee before he fell back asleep on his feet. 

As the snake-like Side moved around the kitchen to get his coffee, the other Sides made their appearances. Roman and Virgil were now both on the couch, each doing their one activities. Remus came running up to him with something that smelled foul swinging from his hand. He was grinning ear-to-ear and shoved the mysterious object in his face. 

"Janus! I got you a gift!" he cackled. "It's a dead rat! You know, cause you're half snake, so you eat rodents!"

Janus looked at the abnormally large rat that Remus was gripping by its tail, feeling his stomach twist. He put on a smile. "Thank you so much for this... lovely gift," he replied, taking the rat from him reluctantly. "I'll just send it to my room for.... later."

He snapped his fingers and the rat disappeared. Remus then ran off, cackling to himself about some idea involving glue and sequins that he was frankly not excited to find out about. 

The snake-like Side was still confused as to what warranted this gift from Remus and the kind words from Logan. He sat down on the couch with his coffee. He sipped it casually and observed the other two Sides sitting nearby. Virgil was on his phone and Roman was writing something with a bothered look on his face. After a moment, the prince huffed. 

"God! Fine! Just stop looking at me," he exclaimed, glaring at Janus. "I hope you have a GREAT day."

He sunk out grumpily, crossing his arms. Janus stared at where he'd disappeared, eyebrows furrowing together in deeper confusion. "Oh, right," Virgil mumbled, smirking. He looked up at the deceitful Side and saluted him. "Have a good day or whatever."

Virgil sunk out too, leaving him alone in the living room. He was practically pouting in confusion when Patton showed up. He was practically bouncing on his feet and he beamed at him upon seeing him. The moral Side opened his mouth to say something, but Janus stopped him. "Nope! Whatever you're about to say, don't say it. I am already incredibly confused as to why the hell everyone's being... nice to me today. I don't need you adding to it."

"Wait... you don't know why?" Patton asked, tilting his head. As Janus shook his head, he began to giggle a little. "Why... it's because it's Mother's Day!"

A silence fell between them. Janus once again found himself replaying the other Side's words before finally comprehending them. Patton walked over to the kitchen to get himself something to eat while the snake-like Side stared after him. 

"Wait, why the hell are they being nice to me because it's Mother's Day?!"

Patton just giggled to himself and shrugged. "Oh, I don't know," he replied.

"I can tell you're lying to me, Patton!" Janus said as he pointed at him accusingly. The moral Side laughed some more and approached him. "I'm serious! What? Do they think I'm their mother or something? What-"

Patton placed a kiss on his human cheek, making him freeze up and flush. "Perhaps you act like it sometimes," he pointed out. He then pulled away and sunk back down to the mind palace.

Janus sat on the couch questioning his existence for an hour before moving.