Rant (Platonic/Romantic Prinxiety)

May 17th, 2020

Roman clenched his fists as he sunk out. He couldn't believe that after everything he had sacrificed for Thomas, his host was still willing to listen and trust Janus. He had called himself the "Lord of the Lies" for crying out loud! Had Thomas and Patton just forgotten how the snake-like Side had manipulated him during their last encounter? 

He gripped his arms tightly as he attempted to calm down. Perhaps Janus could be trusted... perhaps he was wrong about him... 

Roman shook his head furiously as conflict grew within him. He'd argued against trusting Virgil, and he had been wrong about him. When Janus first arrived to partake in the discussion about the callback vs the wedding, he'd tried to be more open minded. He didn't want to repeat the mistakes he'd made with the anxious Side. Roman had been attacked for it, the other Sides practically outraged that he suggested they hear him out. When Janus showed up again in their most recent dispute, he'd treated him with mistrust, but now he was being shunned for doing so. He didn't know what to do anymore.

He'd tried to trust Janus already; he'd been burned. He couldn't tell how much of what Janus had said and done in the courtroom had been to manipulate him into being on his side. Roman just wanted to do the right thing and help Thomas, but he couldn't see what that was anymore.

Was he supposed to just sit back and let the other Sides lead? It seemed that his opinion was never wanted anyway. He felt that he was never on the right side of the argument anymore.

"Uh, Princey? You okay?" a voice said from behind him.

Roman squeezed his eyes shut as a few tears dripped down his cheeks. He forced a smile and refused to turn around. "I'm fine, no need for concern, Virgil," he said, straightening his back and dropping his arms to his sides. "I'm fine."

"Do you know what phrase is most commonly used to lie about someone's well being?" Virgil asked, sounding annoyed. The prince said nothing even though he knew he was caught. "Ro-"

"I don't need your pity!" Roman shouted, whipping around. The anxious Side gasped and shrunk away as he continued. "I don't need you to act like I'm stupid and explain things to me like I won't understand it! I don't know if you and Deceit planned this or something but ever since you and the other Dark Sides showed up, nothing but horrible things have happened to me!"

Virgil looked like he'd been slapped. His expression was one of terror. He was shaking.

The prince blinked, suddenly realizing what he'd said, what he'd done. He shook his face and reached up to wipe the tears away before rushing away to his room.

He stayed in his room for hours. The windows showed rain, making him feel even more horrible. He knew he had overstepped. He knew he lashed out at the wrong person. He knew that he needed to apologize, but he was so ashamed of himself that he didn't want to move. He wasn't sure he could face the anxious Side after what he'd done.

However, Roman couldn't stand to let Virgil think he'd meant anything he'd said. He took a deep breath and left for his room. 

He knocked on the door and held his breath. A very soft voice came from inside and gave him permission to enter. He found Virgil on his bed with his headphones on. He looked sad, but wasn't a mess like Roman was. When he saw who had entered, he just sighed. "What do you want?"

"Virge... I..." he tried, feeling his throat close up. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have yelled at you. I shouldn't have said any of those things to you. I was... I'm going through a rough spot, but I shouldn't have taken it out on you."

The anxious Side looked a little impressed with his apology but didn't say anything. He just motioned for him to sit down on the bed. Roman did so reluctantly. He still felt awful. 

"What happened?" Virgil asked.

He sighed heavily and reached up to comb his hair with his fingers out of stress. "Deceit- Janus, so we found out, showed up while Patton and I were... discussing... the current moral dilemma Thomas has been in. He helped with the fact that Patton was kind of freaking Thomas out, but he suggested that he act more selfishly and asked to be trusted that he wants to help Thomas. I don't know if we can or not, but Patton and Thomas seemed to be convinced once he told us his name."

"I... I was kind of a jerk, I'll admit that," he continued, swallowing. "I shouldn't have made fun of his name, but I was freaking out! I mean, I didn't trust you, and the others got mad at me for it. I say we should give Deceit a chance and then you guys get mad at me again! Now I go back to treating him like he's evil, but I'm still WRONG!"

Roman put his head in his hand as tears of anger flowed down his cheeks. "I thought I was Thomas' hero but I... I don't know anymore..."

Virgil touched his shoulder gently and gave him a sad and understanding expression. "I wasn't there, but if it's any comfort, I think you did the right thing by not trusting him," he said. "I mean, making fun of his name hits a bit close to home, but I don't trust him either. If he's truly changed, it's the first I'm hearing of it."

"Yeah, but why don't you trust him? I don't because he manipulated me during the courtroom scenario," Roman pointed out. "What about you?"

"Oh... uh..." Virgil stammered uncertainly. He looked uncomfortable. "I think that's a topic for another time, but just know that I'm on your side, Roman. I think you're trying your best to be good for Thomas, but we all make mistakes. He has to know that."

The prince smiled sadly and hugged him. The anxious Side tensed in surprise but gradually loosened up. "Thanks Hot Topic."

Virgil smiled a little and hugged him back. "No problem, Sir Sing-A-Lot."