Dreaming Of You (Prinxiety)

May 24th, 2020
A/N: I haven't written a fluffy as fuck Prinxiety one shot in while so have this!

Virgil never saw himself getting along with Roman. The earliest stages of his relationship with him had been incredibly rough. With all the insults and fighting going back and forth between them, it was a miracle he and Roman were friends at all. However, the insults were now laced with playfulness and the fighting was more like bickering. It shocked him, but he was happy with the current state of things between him and the prince.

Being the embodiment of Anxiety was difficult at times. For instance, he didn't cope well with change. This was why he panicked when he had a dream featuring the creative Side.

Virgil bolted upright in his bed, panting as he tried to calm his racing heart. His cheeks were flushed and he felt a strange warmth in his chest. He pressed his hand against it, feeling his heart beating against his ribcage. He'd had a very shocking dream.

It hadn't been anything explicit. It hadn't even been drastic. He and Roman had just been talking when the prince had laced their fingers together and smiled at him fondly. Virgil had smiled back and they had leaned in to kiss when he woke up.

It had felt so real and so vivid. He put a hand to his forehead as he tried to breathe normally again. He swore quietly to himself.

Virgil was familiar with the concept of having a crush on someone. He played a huge role in the nervousness Thomas felt around men he was interested in. He knew better than anyone how jittery a crush could make a person feel. What shocked him about this revelation was he hadn't seen it coming.

As Anxiety, he spent a lot of time over-analyzing emotions he experienced or what Thomas was feeling in general. He was constantly aware of what was causing his problems, but not always great at drawing conclusions of their meanings.

Virgil knew that sometimes he got nervous around Roman, but he assumed that was lingering tension from their previous status as adversaries. He never expected it to be caused by a crush.

He didn't know how to go about his life now that this development had occurred. Roman was oblivious to it, being too focused on himself to notice the way Virgil's face grew faintly red beneath his foundation whenever he used a nickname for him. The prince was naturally flirtatious, being the Side most focused on romance and passion. Roman flirted with all of the Sides (aside from his brother). The anxious Side figured this was why he didn't notice Virgil's reaction; he was used to it being a platonic thing.

Virgil decided that it was best not to act on his dream. His feelings had only just been realized and he needed to feel out how his relationship with Roman was doing before even considering whether to make a move.

However, he continued to dream of the prince. He barely got any restful sleep because he'd wake up in the middle of the night panting because of the kiss they had shared in his dreams. Sometimes he'd just dream of a pleasant date and wake up feeling conflicted about whether or not he should bother to do anything with his feelings. His mind seemed to always be racing with thoughts of the creative Side.

It didn't take long for his restlessness to be noticeable to the others. Virgil's eyeshadow was darker, he barely moved once he got comfortable, and sometimes he'd fall asleep in the middle of the common room.

Roman found him zoned out on the couch one afternoon and frowned with concern. He place a hand in his shoulder. "Virge? You alright?"

"What- huh?!" Virgil gasped, blinking rapidly as he was pulled from his thoughts. His eyes focused on the creative Side. "Yeah- I'm totally fine. What makes you think I'm not?"

"Well, you've been really spaced out lately," Roman pointed out. He pulled his hand away and took a seat beside him. "Is something on your mind?"

The anxious instantly thought of all the dreams he'd been having, how he was always contemplating what to do about their relationship, and the general feelings he held for the Side next to him. He sighed heavily and brought his hands to his face. "I just can't stop thinking about you."

Roman's eyes widened at his words. "Uh, I'm sorry?"

Virgil looked at him in confusion and then paled. "Did I say that out loud? Shit..." he muttered. A flush crept up the back of his next.

"You've been thinking about me?" Roman questioned. He looked a bit lost and confused. "What kind of thoughts have you been having? I'm hoping you're not planning my murder or something. I thought we were finally getting along!"

He flashed a charming smile that made Virgil's heart swell and made his mind curse. "Oh for the love of-" he began, but he cut himself off as he pulled on Roman's suit. The creative Side gasped but he was silenced as Virgil's lips landed on his own softly. It was brief and when he pulled back, Virgil could see how shocked Roman was. "Those kinds of thoughts, alright?"

Virgil then looked away and continued to say nothing as his cheeks flushed pink. He felt so giddy and petrified but what he'd just done but he was too exhausted to start freaking out over it.

"What, that's it? You're just gonna kiss me and then sit there?" the prince asked incredulously. "Are you serious?"

"Well, my brain is kind of running on low power," Virgil replied. "I haven't been sleeping well because you keep making appearances in my dreams, and trust me, that doesn't help my overthinking problem."

Roman stared at him and blinked a couple times. "Okay, if you're not awake enough to talk about this, can we at least try that kiss again?"

"Uh, sure?" Virgil said, shrugging.

The prince leaned forward and gently captured his lips. The anxious Side let out a sigh of contentment. He was exhausted and the softness of Roman's lips on his own was relaxing.

As they broke the kiss, Roman pulled him to rest his head against his shoulder. "Here, take a freaking nap you Emo Nightmare," he said fondly, smiling. "We'll discuss this when you're not so tired."

"Fine with me," Virgil mumbled, already half asleep.