Chapter 23: Lady Driver (Rosé)

"Make sure to get back home unscratched, Chaeng."

"Christmas must have been so splendid coz you're now concerned about me more than your ride." And for all I know, he doesn’t like it when someone touches his car, not even the girlfriend so please note my sarcasm in there coz he’s basically referring to his vehicle but cannot make up the right sentence.

"Tsk. You talk a lot, chipmunk.” He held both of my shoulders and led me to the porch. “Go now and date your unnie."

"Excited much? Leaving now. Enjoy the day with Lisa and Jennie-unnie."

"We'll be kicking and punching today so yeah, I would really enjoy the day." He’s doing the kicking art like a school boy and I made him stop. “I wish you’ll be smashed.”

“You’re cruel,” he kissed my cheek and opened the car door for me. “I’ll call Jisoo now.”

I decided to be my sister's driver for the day. She's taking part in a gift-giving project with the Aeta community as the beneficiaries. She'll be with her college friends and I'm glad she allowed me to accompany her.

Two days after Christmas day and here I am still in daze of what I've discovered. According to unnie, “past is past,” and actually, if not of the determination evident in her eyes when she shared about what happened and how she wanted to get back on her feet, I'd be crying until now. Oh you don’t have any idea how my heart crashed especially when mom and dad were crying with us. 

"Baby, did you bring Jennie's camera?" Jisoo asked as she slipped into the passenger's seat looking as divine as ever. My parents genes are top tier.

"Yup. At the backseat, boss. Are we heading straight to the venue?"

"Yes, and let me just remind you that there isn't any signal in that community."

"Don't worry, unnie. I didn't bring my phone. I'm on vacation, remember?"

"I know but don't you have other life outside your work and aside from us? No other friends?"

"They know and they understand that when it's vacay time, I'm untouchable, unreachable. They know I love them the same so why bother."

"Dork. Let's go. I’ll stay up for the directions."

"Unnie, you said you're feeding me chicken nuggets."

"Aish! This kid. Yes, you can count on your chicken nuggets when we arrive at the venue."

"That's my favorite unnie!"

"I'm not telling Jennie."

"Hahaha!" I stepped on the gas and let her put on some music on play. With chicken nuggets or not, I would love to spend this day with her. I haven't done this for her. It's always the other way around so for now, I'm going to take care of our eldest coz she deserves all the love in the world.

.
.
.

They say that if you have the money but doesn’t have time, you donate, give to a charity. But if you have the time and not as much money, you volunteer. It makes sense to me until today. Going around observing, running little errands, documenting , I’ve realized that getting involved personally and financially is more rewarding. I’m looking at these people who organized this event and knowing them, sends warm hands to my heart. Coz while the rest are making excuses for not having time, here they are ‘making’ time.