Chapter 26: The Honoree (Rosé)

New Year's Day 2020
Philippines

"So what's the plan for unni's birthday?" Jennie asked while busying herself sniffing Lisa's scent the latter has been dodging her (but to no avail)  since she arrived from her usual morning jog.

I had to throw at her the cushion I’ve been hugging. "Eeew Jen, can you please stop it?" She flinched a bit but is still sticking to a sweaty Lisa. Lisa’s face is so funny coz she’s struggling to break free from unni.

"What? I'm obsessed over Lush Karma nowadays. It's not my fault Lisa wears it when she runs." She was tugging the hem of Lisa's oversize shirt now impossibly pulling our youngest to her.

"If you're obsessed with it, why not get it for yourself too? Why did you solely give it to me on Christmas day? Ugh. Let me go Nini please! I need to take a shower!"

"Aniyo!” Jennie profusely shakes her head. “Stay here for a while; we need to plan for Jisoo's birthday."

Lisa sent me the SOS look. "Aish!" I got up and repelled them from each other. "Unni, let her go." My gosh, since when did Jen became strong like this?

"Thanks, chipmunk!" Lisa successfully freed herself and ran towards her bathroom. Yup, we’re in her room today.

"Hurry up before Jisoo unni comes back from Seulgi's house," I told her. “Yes ma’am,” she playfully replied. I didn’t bother to move back to the bed. Instead, I sat with Jennie on the yellow sofa, me occupying the other end and stretching my legs to her. "We usually celebrate her birthday overseas," I sighed.

"We can do that," Jennie perked up and started to rub my right foot with her knuckles.

"It's New Year and her birthday is the day after tomorrow. Don't you think we have enough time to plan for an international trip? We can't do that, I tell you."

"You're right." She slightly massaged the side of her temple like she's squeezing out some idea from her brilliant brain. She hummed. "How about we celebrate it in my main branch and we invite all her friends over? We'll set up a mini stage and book a band. We haven't done that yet, have we?"

I think my eyes lit up hearing that. "Oh my gosh that would be so perfect! I can ask Chanyeol to set it up. I mean, the stage for the band. Now gifts... do you have one already?"

"Yup. I ordered something, hoping it will be shipped on time. How about you?"

"I’m still thinking about it. It’s hard to buy her gifts you know, she already has everything. Perhaps if I can finish a song today, that would be it. I wrote a song for her but…"

"What, really?!” Jennie jumped and gets near me. Good thing I was quick enough to drop my legs on the floor else she’s gonna break my bones. She hugged me at once. “Rosie that would be the sweetest gift she'll receive ever!” Her eyes sparkling as she pulled away. This is the sentimental side of Jennie speaking. “I’m sure you can finish it before her birthday. Can I listen to some parts? Please?"

“How can I say no to that face? Stop that gummy smile, Ruby Jane.” I gingerly removed her arms from me and stepped towards the bed where my phone is. "I’m hoping that I can include this in my new album and pre-release the single this month.” I walked back to the sofa and handed Jen the air pods. “I'll make you listen but please don’t laugh."

"I will never laugh at your works, Roseanne,” she lovingly muttered. She returned the other pod to me, “Let’s listen at the same time.”

A pixie once asked me
If she’s the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen
The cutest, I must say
The pixie dust and a twirling wand
They shine the same