Chapter 12: Sponge (Lisa)

Just because you’re legally allowed to make your own decisions about life doesn’t mean your parents won’t give you the hardest time about it especially when we’re talking about my dream to get tats.

Actually, mommy is okay with it. It’s daddy that needs convincing. When I told him for the nth time over dinner, he just told to sleep on it. It’s his subtle way of saying “You’re making me real angry right now so just dismiss that thought and forget we ever made this conversation.”

I am so hopeless right now. We’re going back to the Philippines in three days and I’m still not getting the magic tattoo that I always wanted. Plus, your sister right here is of no help. I should’ve asked help from my unnies but they’re having the unnies’ bonding, ugh! Chaeyoung is just eating. What to expect from this chipmunk, right?

“You know what Lisa, you could’ve just gotten the tattoo and told dad that you have it. You’re a brat, doing whatever you want yet you’re making a fuss right now. I mean, c’mon!”

“Are you seriously telling me to rebel against daddy?”

She shrugged and feasted on the tart cherries again, “Aren’t you always doing it?”

“Hey!” I threw a cushion at her. “I asked for your help, okay? Help me or else I’m not going to accompany you in that muay thai tournament.” Remembering our deal, she straightens her seat and put aside the after-dinner snacks. “I’m all ears.”

“Read this so you’ll understand.” I handed her my notepad, “I’ve been keeping that since forever and looked up for revisions but it’s still the same rules. Traditions stick.”

“Well, these rules are pretty standard even our religion and society are having them as rules of leading a good and lawful life. Do not kill, do not steal, do not desire another person’s lover or spouse or be unfaithful to your own, do not lie, do not get intoxicated, do not speak ill of your mother…” the rest she read silently. As she progresses, she had this serious look and eventually gave up reading, “I almost developed a desire to get inked with you when suddenly I came across a set of don’t eat this and that.”

Look at this monster foodie. 😫

“Do not eat gourd type of vegetables.." she continued, "hello... I love pumpkin soups! Do not eat left-overs… hell, left overs are great! Do not eat food from a wedding or funeral banquet… what is that, so I’ll starve myself? Tss!”

“YAH CHAEYOUNG! OF ALL THE RULES YOU’VE READ, YOU GET STUCK ON THE EATING PART?! SERIOUSLY?! You even skipped the part when it says what refers to monks and what refers to the general Thai population. Can I just kill you now?”

“Oops! Rule number 1: Do not kill.”
I scoffed upon hearing that. “See? Perhaps daddy doesn’t want you to get inked because he’s afraid you’ll jeopardize the rules.”

“You’re crazy.”

“Hahahaha! I’m just kidding! C’mon, let’s talk to daddy again. I already get it why you really need to seek permission first. It all boils down to being worthy of the Sak Yant tattoo.” She tugged my hand and we throttled towards the door. “We’re getting a yes this time, good daughter. Let's try.”

.
.
.

“It’s okay, yeodongsaeng. Maybe next time?” Jisoo-unnie gently pats my head. I didn’t notice she followed me here in the poolside. She also dipped her legs into the pool and sat closer to me. “It’s a cold December,” she uttered as she leaned her head to my shoulder. My frustrations over dad not allowing me to get inked again vanished in thin air as I remember what I’ve discovered about my sister. We sit still and indulged in silence.