Chapter 25: Cover Up (Lisa)

I woke up feeling better but a little thirsty so I walked to the mini fridge inside the princess’ bedroom and chugged the bottle of Chatramue Thai milk tea. Seriously, this fridge is deprived of solid food I can only see protein smoothies and detox drinks and whatever liquid ‘healthy’ thing in there. Chef Nini seems to be always on a diet while she busies herself making other people fat. She loves to cook but not really that passionate when it comes to eating especially greasy food. Needless to say, that among us four, she’s the health buff.

And speaking of my cat-eyed sister, she should be sleeping right now too how come I’m all alone? I stepped outside and heard trash talking from the next room. When I heard Chaeng squealed, I withdrew my hand from turning the game room’s door knob. Given the loud noise, I don’t think Jennie’s inside because if she is, trash talk is impossible. She has her way of shoving trash to anyone’s throat.

I went to the living room and saw gifts on the table. I take a look and a suspicious package caught my attention. It has a name on it saying Jennie and an envelope attached to it. I understand that privacy is highly valued in this family but my job is getting in the way I think right now. I’m just going to take a look of what’s inside the card. That’s it, I promise. At first glance, I thought it’s sealed but it’s actually not. I pulled the card out and my heart pounded I just bolted away. No… no.

I know that Jennie is being stalked. I also discovered who it was but something is not right here. I knew the moment I came face to face with her assailant in Thailand that there’s more to it. The card that goes with the package said it all. My sister is in danger.

__________

You are perfect in every way, Ruby Jane.
I hope you’re in for a little crashing surprise today?
___________________

I took a photo of the card and sent it to my Boss who’s apparently working with me in the case. This is his parting gift to me he said.

I opened the package and saw a wrecked toy car. My jaws clenched. Message received, idiot. I went to the backyard, shoved the box into the trash bin and hurriedly went back to Jennie’s room and grabbed my phone. I’m freaking panicking but I should sound calm over the phone. I hope Jen’s inside the house or at the pool area or in the garden. I always have her in speed dial. “Where are you?” I asked. My hands fidgeting. She sounded flustered for a moment but sheepishly replied after that short pause. I made the convo short and jumped to the bathroom. I need to quickly go and get her.

“Well hello there, K.” Boss Teddy answered his phone right away.

“Project JK.” I said before hopping to the garage.

“Copy. Send me the location.”

I sent him the coordinates, “Thanks!” I drove my way to Kirby’s and thank the traffic fairy if ever there is one, that there’s no traffic today. People must be staying with their families in their respective homes. Family. I gasped. No one should be messing up with my family.

Before I step out of the car, I waited for Boss Teddy’s advice. I parked across Kirby’s. Luckily, I didn’t wait long. As soon as I spotted Jennie in the 2nd floor of the pub, my phone beeped with a message. Danger, K. The car’s brake lines are cut.

Damn it.

The culprit must be someone she’s with right now. Get her car once we’re out of this place. I’m bringing her with me. I texted back.