HERO

Jan 26, 2020
KGE's parents' house
7 pm

"Imino..."
"Hmmm?"
"Can I ask you something?"
"Ask then..."
"Am I bad? Am I ugly?"
"Mwo??"
"Answer me."
"Yaaah?!"
"Imino! Am I??"
"Wae??"
"Am I no g..."

Knock knock

They were both startled. Someone knocked on LMH's car window. LMH opened the door when he knew it was Appa Kim.

"Annyeonghaseyo, Mr. Kim."
"Annyeonghaseyo, LMH-sshi."
"How are you, Sir?"

Silence.

Mr. Kim was looking at KGE instead from the open door rather than to answer LMH's greeting. KGE gazed at Mr. Kim's sad eyes. KGE tried to smile at her father, though, when LMH was in a daze. As for Mr. Kim didn't answer LMH's greetings to the moment Mr. Kim straightly questioned his daughter, LMH knew something was up.

"Euniyah... Are you alright?" Appa Kim's voice sounded sad when he asked his daughter.
LMH frowned.
Why did Appa Kim ask her like that?
And why with the voice too?
Why was he so sad?

Baby...
What is it now?
Why with your Appa?
Did something happen?
You didn't tell me anything.
Are you hiding something from me?

KGE got out of the car and walked towards her father, who looked worried and troubled.

She didn't say anything but hugged him so tight.
Then she sobbed.
She cried sadly.

LMH stunned.

Baby...
What is it?
Why you cry?
Why you so sad?
Did I do you wrong?

"LMH-sshi, thank you for taking my daughter to me. I believe you should go home now." Mr. Kim nodded and sighed when he finally said,

"And from now on, let you two meet just for work, and work only. Let's stop it here."

It was a big blow to LMH's heart.
What was it with those words?
Stop them from what?
Did Mr. Kim mean it?
Why should he stop?
Stop from what?
What to stop?
What for?

LMH's brain seemed to get dulled and froze. He couldn't digest the words at all. He frowned. His eyes were searching for an answer in Mr. Kim's clouded face. He didn't like this 'stop' so much, but he didn't see the word coming from an angry father either. It was more like desperation for help. LMH tried to read the situation with his heart.

"Mr. Kim, what did you mean?" LMH's voice was deep. He wanted to understand.
He couldn't think of any better way to do but to seek for Mr. Kim's answer. LMH knew the risk of his action; Mr. Kim probably would get angry at him. But he didn't care; he would take that risk.

If there were the scariest monster LMH had to face, it would be a daughter's father. But LMH would defy this father even if it means he had to get hurt. Oh yes, he would go and fight him for this particular daughter.

"Appa..." KGE's broken voice made LMH unconsciously tried to reach for her, but he managed to stop his hand from taking her. She was still in her father's embrace.

"Euniyah... Let's get inside; it's cold..." Mr. Kim gazed at his daughter's face; his eyes spoke his concerns. He exhaled heavily before he turned his face to LMH, who stood with his worried look.

"LMH-sshi, gamsahabnida... once again, I believe Euniyah needs a good rest now," His voice was a little shaky, as if the cold had hit him hard. But looking at his face, LMH doubted that it was from the cold.

"Mr. Kim, may I know what is happening here? Why did you say we need to stop? What to stop?" LMH's voice showed his real emotion. His voice was a little pitchy now. LMH was annoyed and confused at the same time. He refused to say goodbye to his crying girlfriend.
"Shouldn't we talk about it?" LMH's voice was demanding.
His eyes never left Mr. Kim's face.