46 At the End of the Day

Start from the beginning

"It was nothing. We have to stick together in places like that to keep bastards like him from doing whatever they feel like." He commented with a bitter voice. I looked up at him sipping his coffee and smiled a little.

"If you don't mind me asking... why were you so...." I raised my hand and my brain stalled on the words I wanted to say.

"So rude. Just say it. I was rude before. Look, I'm sorry I misjudged you. You reminded me of someone I knew before and I took it out on you. I'll try not to in the future." He kept it short, like his clipped words, but I appreciated the apology just the same.

"Thanks." I smiled at him and saw a little bit of red around his ears.

"Don't thank me for that. You're such an idiot. I can't believe such a superior Dom ended up with a braindead kid like you." Marcus sniffed at me in derision and looked away.

"Yeah, he's pretty amazing." I gushed, ignoring his other words. "Is that part of the reason you stopped being mean to me? Because I was with him?" I tilted my head to the side and saw him frown and run his hand through his hair. He sighed.

"No. It's because... in the end you are more like me than I care to admit. Just... be careful. Even with him. I don't want to see you get hurt." He shifted uneasily in his seat, downed the last of his coffee and got up to leave abruptly. I wasn't done yet and looked up in surprise.

"You're leaving already?" I asked quickly. He waved me to stay sitting.

"Yeah. I got to go. Finish your drink. I'll see you tomorrow." He didn't look at me and his face was pale. I let him go without another word. He must have had demons chasing him for how fast he ran out of there. I scratched my head in confusion. That guy was really hot-then-cold to a person.

"Here. It's new." I looked up to see the big guy offering me a small plate with a pastry. I smiled at him.

"For me? Thanks!" I took the plate and had a bite. I moaned at the sweet goodness as it hit my tongue. "Oh wow." I said after swallowing my bite. I saw the big guy still standing there with a red face.

"Is it... is it good?" He asked. I stuffed the rest into my mouth in one go and gave him two thumbs up. I couldn't help closing my eyes so I could savour the pastry as I chewed it.

"So good, dude. Did you make that?" I asked him. He nodded and I sighed in awe. "That's great, man. Keep making stuff like that and you'll make a fortune."

"Ah... thanks." He replied quietly. He shuffled back behind the counter with a red face, and I concentrated on finishing my drink. A few people came in to order and I waved when I left.

I walked home with dragging steps, thinking over the last few days. There were ups and downs, strange turns of events, and I made a few new friends. How could life go from being so boring to so eventful in such a short time?

I guess... life is just like that. I walked into our apartment and got to my routine. I cleaned, I played some video games, I waited for Sasha to get home. When the door handle turned, I smiled immediately and got up to greet him.

"Welcome home, Sir." I came up and helped him take off his jacket. He ruffled my hair and grinned at me with a touch of exhaustion.

"Thank you, Lukas. What would you like for dinner?" He made his way to the kitchen, rolling up his sleeves.

"Anything you like is good with me, Sir." I replied, following him like a little puppy. He snorted and opened the fridge.

"Then I will make you eat something healthy. Oh, how was your outing?" He asked with a curious look shot my way.

"It was good. Marcus and I talked some things out. It was all just a misunderstanding. We are good now." I waved from behind the counter as he began chopping vegetables.

"That's good. I was a little worried he might make trouble for you at work." Sasha frowned but I shook my head.

"No way. Marcus might be a little grouchy, but he isn't a cruel guy. You can't be all bad if you work to save animals, right?" I argued. He raised a brow.

"You are too innocent for life, Lukas." He kissed my forehead and I rubbed it with heat in my face. "Never change."

"You know that's impossible, right Sir?" I grumbled at the unreasonable request. He hummed and pulled me into his arms.

"Perhaps, but as long as your heart stays so sweet," He leaned down to kiss my neck. "I think I might be addicted."

"Tsk, charmer. What do you want?" I grinned and leaned against him. He pressed his lips to my ear and whispered into the shell of it. I shivered and my grin grew so wide it hurt.

"What do you think?"

1581