11 Every Claim You Stake

Now it was broken. I just knew it. I woke up feeling worse than I ever had in my life. I was in an uncomfortable hospital bed with a cast on my leg, bandages stuck on my head and a rather unattractive nurse glaring at me. I coughed and my chest felt like it had been crushed.

"You are awake? Good. Doctor wants to have a talk with you." She left the room and I closed my eyes wearily. I heard footsteps come into the room and I blinked the heavy lids open.

"How are you feeling?" The doctor stared down at me and I wanted to shrug, but realised it was probably a bad idea.

"Like crap." I managed to growl out. My throat felt dry and my mouth like a sewer.

"Do you remember what happened?" He asked me.

"Yeah, no. I was pretty hammered." I replied honestly. He nodded and looked down at his chart.

"I'll say. We pumped your stomach, and we couldn't give you any pain killers. At least until we know for sure the alcohol is out of your system. The more water you drink, the faster that will be. Okay?" He leveled a look at me.

"Okay. How bad is it?" I was sweating from the pain that was rushing through my system.

"Broken leg, bruised ribs, lacerations on your head and hands. Looks like you managed to protect yourself from worst though. You must have an angel on your shoulder." He shook his head. I laughed and then felt tears stream down at the pain of it.

"Ow, ow, ow. Don't make me laugh. Please." I wheezed.

"Sorry. Well, rest as much as you can. I will let your parents know you are awake and seem to be fine. You can start your meds later today once we check your blood." He sauntered out after that and I stared at the ceiling.

"That was stupid." I muttered to myself.

"Yes it was." I heard the deep voice with a feeling of both shame and joy. I tilted my head and saw his large form glaring at me from the door. He was so quiet I didn't hear him even come in.

"Hey Sir." I croaked. "I think I messed up." I could feel the tears in my eyes starting and looked up at the ceiling again to try and make them stop. They didn't. When I felt the sob rip from my chest, I gasped at the same time at the pain it caused.

"Don't do that. You will hurt yourself." His soothing voice came from a bit closer.

"I-I-I c-can't stop." I gasped as tears ran unchecked down my cheeks and sobs wracked my body. It hurt so much that I was gasping from it. I felt strong arms wrap around me.

"Shh. It's okay. You are okay. Just breathe. Follow my lead, Lukas." He soothed me, and then I felt his hand on my chin. I looked at him and he was doing that breathing thing again. I tried to follow along. It was starting to work, slowly.

"I'm sorry Sir." I whispered after a few minutes.

"I can't leave you alone for one night, hmm?" His dark eyes had a glint of humour in them, aside from the stern tone of voice.

"No Sir." I admitted sheepishly. "I'm a disaster."

"Yes you are. Just look at you. If you were trying to punish yourself, I think you went a little overboard." He joked with me. I huffed a little laugh and shook my head.

"No... I drank too much. Then there was this girl, and I tried to leave but she wouldn't leave me alone. I didn't know the stairs were there." I stumbled a little as I confessed to him. His eyes were stern now.

"And what would have prevented all this." He stared down at me. I sighed.

"Not drinking in the first place." I admitted. I was tired and thirsty. I looked around and spotted the cup of water on the table nearby. He picked it up and held the straw for me. The cold water trickled down my throat soothingly.