4 Every Step He Takes

Sasha taps my shoulder and points at my clock. It was time for dinner. I packed up the homework that was done and let him partially undress me again. I put away my uniform pieces and followed him downstairs. I could hear my mother arguing with my father from the hall. I hesitated to go inside.

It was a curse, this desire of my mother’s to appear normal by having dinner together whenever they were home. I could have done without it honestly. It wasn’t like they were actually interested in seeing me, nor in knowing what was going on in my life.

They didn’t even ask when we sat in that room.
Why would they bother when they could just ask the guards, my teachers, and now Sasha? They wouldn’t. So I was forced to sit and eat an overly fancy meal with two people so full of themselves that they couldn’t stop talking or playing on their phones long enough to realise their son despised them.

“I am finished. May I leave?” I asked the same thing at the end of every meal. I was waved away without a look as my mother cackled at something on her Iphone. My father was too busy talking to someone over his Bluetooth and glared at her for her outburst. I rolled my eyes and left without my dishes. I was not allowed in the kitchen when I ate with them.

“How was dinner?” Sasha asked me. I shrugged. I didn’t want to accidentally say anything rude. I scuffed my foot on my way over to the stairs. My stomach growled from picking at my food in distaste. I was stopped and glared at. “Didn’t you just eat?”

“Yes and no. I ate my vegetables. They were having lamb. I hate eating baby animals. They need to at least grow up before they should go on our table.” I grumbled. He pulled me passed the dining room with a finger to his lips. I had not been through this other corridor in years, so the other serving staff looked at us curiously.

“Chef Pete, could I get a plate of spaghetti for Lukas here?” He called out to the burly man working in front of the stove. He turned with an appraising look and then grinned.

“Sure thing, Alek. He can’t stomach the fancy stuff huh? Don’t worry about it kid.” He loaded up a bowl full of spaghetti with meat sauce and my mouth watered. This was more like it. I tore into the dish as soon as the fork touched my hand. I moaned around a bite of the heavenly sauce.

“Breathe Lukas. I know CPR but I don’t want to have to use it.” Some others around us laughed at the comment. I just grinned with a mouthful of pasta. Maybe I should slow down a little.

“She wants you Pete.” One of the servers came in with an eye roll. Pete muttered under his breath and followed her out of the kitchen with a shout to check on the pies.

“Oh my gosh, there’s pie?” I breathed when I swallowed. Sasha grinned at me.

“Yes, for the staff. Your mother says she won’t have such unhealthy things on her table.” He sat back with a raised brow. I looked at him with pleading eyes.

“May I have some please, Sir?” I asked quietly when I didn’t think anyone was paying attention.

“Sure. Next time just tell me when you don’t like what they are having. Okay?” He waved over one of the girls and asked her if she would bring up two slices to my room when they were ready. She giggled and agreed. I didn’t like how she looked at him. She was being all flirty. It was gross. Like the girl at school.

“I need to finish my homework.” I said to him, distracting him from the batting lashes. He nodded and excused us both, not making me put the dishes away in the busy room. I would have just gotten in the way with all the traffic. Dinner rush was like that though.

I sat at my desk with a sigh and scribbled answers on my remaining sheet. I was just finished putting it away when a knock came at my door. Sasha got it and took both slices of pie from the blushing girl. I glared at her from behind his back until she got the hint and left abruptly.

I took my plate eagerly. I had not had Pete’s pie in years. It was still warm and he had given us scoops of ice cream on the side. I took a bite with both. It was heaven. The warm, sweet berry and cool vanilla swirling together in my mouth. Like the perfect symphony of flavours. I forgot how much I loved pie.

It was gone too quickly. I looked longingly at the last bite on Sasha’s plate. He made a point of scooping it up and slowly putting it in his mouth. I pouted a little as I watched him. His teeth scraped the fork and a flake of crust clung to his lip. He licked his lips and grinned as he chewed.

I gulped. Then I ran for the bathroom. I slammed the door behind me and pressed my back to the door. I looked down in horror. No. Just no. I went to the sink and ran water. Splashing my face, I looked in the mirror. I didn’t look any different. I glared at my reflection. I talked to myself for a few minutes, mostly about appropriateness.

“Don’t be stupid. You are just a kid. He is an adult. Get over it.” I muttered to myself in the mirror. I heard a knock at the door and looked over in alarm.

“Are you alright in there?” I heard Sasha call out. I had to think about it for a second. I wasn’t supposed to lie. I mean, I wasn’t sick or something. So… yes? I was alright. I was a little messed up for a second, but I was alright.

“Yeah I’m fine Sir. Be out in a minute.” I washed my face with soap this time and turned off the water. I brushed my teeth and took a quick wiz in the toilet. Then I washed my hands and emerged. A little calmer and sans problem-o, thank goodness.

“Did you brush your teeth?” His brow was furrowed as I walked past.

“Ah yeah, I mean, yes sir. My mouth was all gross last night so…” I didn’t finish the thought and let him interpret it however. I saw my pajamas laid out and watched Sasha turn away so I could get dressed. It kind of irked me today. We were both guys so what did it matter? Adults were so weird. “Why do you turn away when I get changed?”

“You are underage. I also do not have your permission to watch you dress. There are some lines one should not cross. It would be inappropriate for me to assume you are fine with it.” He responded smoothly. My mouth made an oh as I thought about it. It was actually a pretty logical reason, I guess.

I crawled on top of my covers and got out a controller. I held one out to him, and after a moment hesitation he took it from me. I smiled a little to myself as I started up the game and we got comfortable for a longer play time. It was so much easier, and so much more fun with two of us playing.

We cleared a full stage, and the bit of one we had left over before it. I was dancing around in my pajamas in glee. It was the furthest I had gotten in the game to date. I offered a high five to Sasha and he rolled his eyes before slapping his hand to mine.

“Why don’t you get an early night Lukas?” He was watching me, maybe this was a test. I wasn’t really tired. I didn’t have anything to do either. I shrugged and nodded.

“Sure. I can do that. Goodnight, Sir.” I grinned at him and got into bed, under the covers this time. He came up and smoothed the sheet across. I felt a little mischievous. I reached up and grabbed a hold of his tie, loose around his neck now from when he tugged it earlier.

I pulled him down, watching his cautious and alarmed look. He didn’t pull back though; he wasn’t a coward that’s for sure. I leaned up and grazed a soft kiss on his cheek and then fell back like it was the most normal thing in the world.

“Goodnight Lukas.” He growled at me. His eyes were narrowed as he clicked off my bedside light. I watched him make his way to my door in the dark. He paused a moment as he opened it, and I saw him glance back with an unreadable look before slipping through into the house.

1514

A/N so... Two updates a week is pretty good huh? How are you liking it so far??