25 It's A Lot, Like Life

"I don't want to let go." I was hugging him after eating an ice cream sundae and just talking about nonsense for the last four hours. He always smelled so good. I wanted to steal his shirt one of these days.

"I know Lukas. It is not yet time. You can text me now though, okay? I will send a message to your phone so you have my number." He pulled back and looked at me with such a warm look that I felt tingly.

"Okay. Is it okay if I text you anytime Sir?" I looked down at my feet and hoped he would say yes.

"Alright. But I may not reply right away. You must be patient. I have work." He replied after a minute. I nodded and looked up with a happy face.

"I understand. Thank you Sir!" I chirped. He chuckled and ruffled my hair. It made my chest clench with something akin to pain. It was something you would do to a kid. Was that still how he saw me? Gods I hope not. "Umm."

"What is it, Lukas?" He gave me a stern look. I hesitated.

"Can I... uhm, may I have a birthday present Sir?" I bit my lip and tilted my head.

"It wasn't enough that I came all this way to see you?" He asked with a frown. I cleared my throat.

"Ah, no it was, that is... just I was hoping..." I scratched my head and my gaze dropped to his lips. A blush covered my cheeks and I looked away. I heard his sigh.

"You really like to push things." He growled at me. I slumped my shoulders, then shrugged helplessly.

"I just love you." I said quietly. His finger tilted my head up to look me in the eyes. His gaze was softer, even if his face was still stern.

"I know. You need to be more patient, pet." He admonished me. I sighed. I wasn't getting a kiss then. I nodded and tried to hold in my disappointment. I heard him say something under his breath that I couldn't make out. Then his breath was against my lips. "Spoiled."

They touched mine gently. It was almost fleeting, teasing, and so tender that I wanted to rip my chest open from how big my heart felt from it. I gasped and flushed so bright my skin burned when he pulled away. He grinned at me and shoved me towards the cab that had pulled up.

"Now, behave." He said as he opened the door. I slid into the seat next to a rather drunk Pete. I nodded and he shut the door behind me.

"I will. I promise."

*

If doing my schoolwork and trying not to cause trouble was easy for me, I would have been valedictorian or some shit. I wasn't valedictorian. And it was hard. Really fucking hard. Like, harder than not swearing out loud when you stub your toe.

I stood with tears flowing down my cheeks and my face red as I held my poor abused socked foot. It was partly my own fault that I had kicked my bedframe as I tried to get dressed for graduation. I was rushing because I was packing last minute.

I didn't want my parents to catch wind of the fact that I was ready to fly the moment I had the piece of paper that said I was free from Secondary school in hand. Sasha had promised to pick me up and I was going to be ready for him.

Even dressed like a penguin and hiding my bags in my flashy piece of crap car that scared the shit out of me if I went over sixty. All of my stuff was mostly already in the trunk. The last of my junk was in an overnight bag on my bed. That one was the only bag I'd walk out with.

After my foot stopped throbbing and I could get my shoes on that is. I sniffed as I sat on the bed and rubbed the feeling away. Once it was tolerable, I shoved my feet into the black dress shoes my mother had bought me. They were pretty hideous. Christian something with Italian leather and pointed toes.