Chapter 20

“what do we do now?” Clarke said and Lexa didn’t say anything. Kane looked at Abby and Abby shook her head and looked at Lexa. “there must be another way” Clarke said. “was that the only bunker?” Kane said. “we think so” Clarke said. “Kane can you put together a team to figure that out?” Abby said. “yes I will supervise them myself” Kane said.
“we can’t depend on that” Lexa said after her long silence. Clarke looked at her. “you know that” Lexa said and Clarke nodded sadly.
“we have to think of something else to save everyone” Lexa said. “shouldn’t we tell people?” Kane said and Clarke looked at Lexa. “they deserve to know but we can’t risk a coup” Lexa said. “but they do deserve to know. We can’t take this away from them” Kane said.
“why didn’t you tell people that we didn’t have enough air on the Ark then Kane?” Clarke said defending Lexa. “I regret doing that now” Kane said and Clarke softened. Lexa looked at Abby. “what do you think?” Lexa asked Abby. “I think we need to have more faith in our people but we need to be cautious at the same time.” Abby said and Lexa nodded. “we wanted to do better here Abby” Kane said. “sometimes you need to shut down your feelings Kane. You know that” Lexa said and Kane looked at Clarke for support. “what if they have a plan? We need to use all our resources” Clarke said. “Clarke you are only thinking about Skaikru right now” Lexa said. “then we only tell them now” Clarke said. “can you guarantee that not even one person will talk about this beyond these walls?” Lexa said and Clarke looked at her. “you can’t. you have one clan to think about. I have 13 Clarke. if Azgeda finds out that you know sooner than them, Praimfaya isn’t what gets all of your people killed. Roan is” Lexa said. “I understand” Clarke said. “no Clarke you don’t.” Lexa said and Clarke looked at her. “I can’t be everywhere. I can’t control everyone and think of a way to save all of us at the same time” Lexa said. “that’s why we need people.” Clarke said. “your people trust you more than Bellamy trusts me and he is my best friend.” Clarke said and Lexa sighed. “you made them one. I am sure they can at least help. You don’t give them an opportunity. Make a hard law that no one can break until praimfaya.” Clarke said taking Lexa’s hand. “I hope you are right” Lexa said. “Me too” Clarke said and Lexa smiled weakly.
Kane and Clarke went out and Lexa was there alone with Abby. Lexa’s head was aching and she felt weak from lack of sleep and tension. “you look weak” Abby said worried and went towards Lexa. “I’m okay I become like this sometimes” Lexa said and Abby put her hand on Lexa’s forehead. “you need rest Lexa” Abby said and Lexa looked at her. “I will give you something for you to sleep. Don’t worry Clarke won’t let us make any decisions without consulting with you” Abby said and Lexa smiled.
“believe me I am more worried about Clarke’s decisions than yours” Lexa joked and Abby smiled at her. “you need rest. When you are okay, everything is okay” Abby said kindly and Lexa smiled a little bit. Abby went to infirmary to get her the medicine and when the door was closed, Lexa shed a tear.
Anya came in and Lexa smiled. “I saw Abby going to get you medicine are you okay?” Anya said worried and grabbed Lexa’s cheeks in her hands. Lexa smiled and Anya hugged her. “your mind needs to rest before you turn to commander mode completely” Anya said. “what?” Lexa chuckled. “commander mode. Raven has made the name. plus, when you are tired your defense mechanism turns fully commander. Everyone is afraid of it” Anya said and Lexa rolled her eyes.
The door opened and Clarke came in. “my mom gave me this pills” Clarke said and gave it to Lexa and nodded her head to Lexa’s confused face. Lexa swallowed it and looked at Clarke. she pulled her in a hug and Clarke smiled softly. “I’m okay Lexa” Clarke said. “it’s for me” Lexa said and kissed her shoulder. “come on, get up and go to sleep. I told everyone not to go in my room and there are two guards in front of it” Clarke said and Lexa smiled. “what?” Clarke said. “you are becoming me” Lexa said and Clarke chuckled. “do you want me to sleep with you?” Clarke said when they reached the room. “no please stay awake and control people” Lexa said and went inside and closed the door.
Bellamy and others returned to Arkadia and Bellamy looked at Clarke and smiled bitterly. “where is Lexa?” Octavia said. “sleeping” Clarke said and Octavia raised her eyebrows. “what are we going to do?” Bellamy said looking at Clarke. “what we always do. Save people. we should search if there are other bunkers.” Clarke said.
Anya came to Clarke and pulled her with a worried look. Clarke frowned confused and went with her. “what is wrong?” Clarke said. “I don’t think searching for another bunker is the right solution at the moment. It might not even exist. We have to tell your people now. They have already noticed the change in all of you. Lexa never stays here. They know something is up Clarke.” Anya said. “shouldn’t I wait?” Clarke said. “you told me that you were in detention because you wanted to speak up about lack of air on the Ark. What has changed?” Anya said. “I guess I don’t trust my people as I used to” Clarke said. “well you should Clarke. you are who they look up to. You saved them from mount weather. You saved the 100 from us. You are their hero Clarke” Anya said. “I am no hero here” Clarke said. “but you do inspire. You have Kane here supporting you. Bellamy is here with you. If you don’t do it, what should we say about Lexa?” Anya said. “maybe you are right” Clarke said. “of course I am. I’m 13 years older than you” Anya said and Clarke smiled. “I will do it next morning” Clarke said.
Clarke went into her room and saw Lexa sleeping. She smiled and closed the door and went to the bed. She laid behind Lexa and rested her head on Lexa’s back. Lexa turned around and opened her arm. “come” Lexa said with closed eyes and Clarke put her head on Lexa’s chest and closed her eyes. “I want to tell our people in the morning” Clarke said with a low tone hoping that Lexa was still awake. “I will be there before we go to Polis” Lexa said with closed eyes. “we are going to Polis?” Clarke said. “if you thought that I will tell 12 clan leaders they will possibly all die in 6 months alone, you are wrong” Lexa said and Clarke chuckled.
“you are too attached to me” Clarke said sarcastically. “Clarke you talk too much” Lexa said and Clare glared at her and she laughed. “I am normally silent” Clarke said and Lexa raised her eyebrows. “shut up” Clarke said and hugged her tighter. “you have every right to enjoy being in Polis. This room isn’t comfortable at all” Lexa said and Clarke smiled. “yeah comfortable beds are the only reason I am in Polis” Clarke said. “I know but you seem to like my room better” Lexa said smiling. “yes let’s switch” Clarke said and they both laughed.
The next morning, Clarke and Lexa woke up and went outside. “I need to talk to Abby you prepare” Lexa said and they separated. Lexa went in infirmary and saw Abby there. “how are you feeling?” Abby said. “I am so much better thank you” Lexa said and stood there in silence. “do you need anything commander?” Abby said. “I want you to visit Polis more often. Come stay there every once in a while.” Lexa said. “why?” Abby said confused. “I lost my mother when I was 10. Clarke might seem like she doesn’t need you since she was sent to the ground but she does. I don’t want her to realize that when it’s too late” Lexa said. “you are a good kid. Life must have been too hard on you” Abby said. “sometimes the only thing that separates the world within with the world outside, is just as thin as a war paint.” Lexa said softly. “I am sorry for your loss Lexa. All of them” Abby said. “we will go to Polis after Clarke talks to skaikru. But she will come back soon. I promise” Lexa said and turned to go. “wait” Abby said and Lexa looked at her. “whenever you feel like your mind is racing more than your capacity, take one of these it will help you sleep” Abby said and gave her the pills. “but these are for your people” Lexa said. “you are our people as much as we are yours” Abby said and Lexa nodded and grabbed it. “thank you” Lexa said softly and went out.
Lexa went out and saw Clarke with Bellamy and Kane. “let’s go” Bellamy said and Clarke took a speaker in her hand. “I know that you have been wondering about the reason of the small meetings and the reason why the commander is here. The truth is, through the files stored in the Ark’s database, we have information that the nuclear power plants have started melting down and the sensors show that the radiation levels are already higher than they should be. We have at most 6 months to come up with a way to save us from what’s happening. We don’t know about possible choices and this lack of information is the reason of this delay.” Clarke said. “but we are born in space.” A boy said. “like I said, our information is not complete on this matter and we can’t sit and wait till we know” Clarke said. “what can we do?” a woman said. “think. We are all from different stations. We had enough information to live and stay in space. I know and trust that we can survive this but we need to use our minds.” Kane said and stood next to Clarke. “until then, the leader of this operation is Clarke Griffin” Kane said and Clarke looked at him. People went to do their jobs and a clapping sound came. “it’s funny how we lean on Clarke to save us every time but all that she has done was getting us killed” Jasper said laughing and Lexa closed her eyes and took a deep breath and looked at Bellamy. “Jasper enough” Bellamy said. “why? Am I not right? The person standing next to you, is the reason Clarke pulled a lever that killed my girlfriend. Maybe Clarke deserves to burn in the death wave. It’s how she answers for her sins” Jasper said. “do you know why you have a place to live in Jasper?” Lexa said and Clarke and Anya looked at her as she walked towards him. “do you know why Arkadia wasn’t burnt to the ground. Why you had a hunter to provide food for your winter. Why you still have your bone marrow. Why your friends were not killed by the guards in mount weather. Why we have peace. Why the other clans recognize you as their own?” Lexa said standing close to his face. “because Clarke was there” Lexa said and Jasper looked at her. “let me ask you something. do you think you are the only one who has lost someone?” Lexa said. “I am the only one who’s girlfriend has died because of his friend” Jasper said. “you are not Jasper” Octavia said.
“she is right. Abby is the reason Clarke doesn’t have a father. Kane is the reason Octavia doesn’t have a mother. Bellamy is the reason Niylah doesn’t have a father. Monty is the reason Lexa’s warriors lost their families in war. You are the reason many people died because you stole drugs. I am the reason Finn was one of the 100. Should I continue?” Raven said. “you don’t know what it’s like when the person you love burns” Jasper said and Lexa looked at Clarke. “Jasper I am sorry” Clarke said. “shove your regret up your ass” Jasper said and walked passed Clarke.
“why are you sorry?” Lexa said suddenly to Clarke in a high tone. “what?” Clarke said. “they are alive because of you. Don’t be sorry. Don’t say sorry” Lexa said and Raven looked at her. “is Finn dead because Clarke killed him? Yes. But is Anya alive today because Clarke killed Finn? Again, yes” Lexa said and walked towards Jasper. “Maia is dead because Clarke pulled the lever but more than 70 people are alive because she pulled the lever. You keep saying you don’t need her but she is the reason skaikru exists today. Now we are all dying in 6 months and all you can do is blame her?” Lexa said staring at Jasper. “get over yourself” Lexa said and Jasper walked away. “that was harsh” Raven said. “nice though. We can’t handle weakness right now. She is right Clarke. don’t apologize. None of us are saints here” Octavia said.
Clarke and Lexa went back to Polis with Raven. “send riders to every clan. The leaders must be here. I repeat the leaders Gaia” Lexa said while walking towards throne room. “all of them” Lexa said turning to Gaia. “Luna?” Gaia said. “it’s an order” Lexa said and walked away. Gaia pulled Clarke’s arm. “what is it about?” Gaia said. “we are going to tell everyone. Our people already know. Raven is here to explain” Clarke said. “I hope you know what you are doing” Gaia said.
Clarke went in the room and saw Lexa standing on the balcony. She went behind her and hugged her from behind. “nervous?” Clarke said. “no just thinking” Lexa said. “we will find a way soon. Actually I have something to tell you” Clarke said. “what is it?” Lexa said and turned around. “I think if we don’t have any other choice, we might be able to seal ark stations and stay inside them to save the human race. They are made to survive in space. I am sure if we seal it well, it can survive the death wave” Clarke said. “why don’t we do it now?” Lexa said. “you won’t like the reason. The stations need to be supplied for at least 5 years till the radiation levels are survivable again for our people.” Clarke said. “you can only save a limited number” Lexa said and Clarke nodded sadly. “I won’t ask who you would save because I know the answer” Lexa said and kissed Clarke’s head. “as the last resort” Clarke said with a low tone and Lexa nodded. “we will find a way” Lexa said.
The clan leaders were in the throne room in 3 days and Lexa went inside. Clarke stood next to her own chair and Raven stayed next to Anya and Lexa. Lexa looked around the room and there was no sign of Luna or Roan and the leader of Lake clan. “I said all of the clan leaders. Where is king Roan?” Lexa said madly. “king Roan had some difficulties reaching the capital. He will be here in a day” Azgeda’s ambassador said. “what about Juan (lake clan leader)?” Lexa said. “they said he was sick” Anya said and Lexa sighed.
“what about Floukru?” Lexa said looking at Gaia. The doors opened and Luna appeared. The whole room went silent and the clan leaders saw the leader of Floukru for the first time. “isn’t that the coward night blood?” one of the leaders said to another. “welcome Luna” Lexa said and Luna smirked. “Floukru is at your command, commander” she bowed to Lexa for the first time and stood in front of her chair next to Clarke. “why is the night blood still alive?” lake clan ambassador said loudly and Gaia’s hand went for her dagger. Lexa looked at her and nodded for her to stay down. “because I didn’t kill her” Lexa said and Clarke looked at her. “this is why our leader didn’t come to this meeting. The commander gave us limited supplies for the winter but provided skaikru with a hunter. You are too emotional Heda. If not killing a run away, is your weakness again, Lake clan will happily step up and do the job for you.” He said and Anya took her dagger out and Lexa stopped her. “come, let us talk in private” Lexa said and he went after her to the balcony. “I have a message for Juan” Lexa said and kicked him off the tower. Clarke looked at her in shock. Lexa turned around. “would anyone else care to question my decisions?” Lexa said and they all stood there in silence. “good, then we can begin.” Lexa said and sat on her throne. “we have all joined here because we have a big announcement. Praimfaya is here. With the wisdom of the commander and the guidance of the flame, we have reached this information that a death wave is coming towards us in 6 months” Gaia said. “we have survived before. We will now too” a leader said. “actually you can’t” Raven said. “what are you saying sky girl?” he said madly and Lexa glared at him. “talk, Raven” Lexa said with a low tone and nodded to Raven. “the radiation levels are going higher than the first one. A fire of radiation is coming and it will destroy everything in its path. We need to find a way to survive this. in a few weeks, radiation will reach the waters. If we are lucky, the black fire won’t come anytime soon. We need to supply food. Medicine. But most importantly, we need a place to stay.” Raven said and looked at Anya. Anya brought out the key and the symbol of the first bunker. “anyone that knows anything about this symbol should inform the commander as soon as possible. We need to work together. All 13 clans. We will find a way to survive this” Anya said.
Clarke looked at Lexa and nodded to her. “anyone who tries to break the peace, will be destroyed immediately. Without any hesitations.” Lexa said and everyone looked at her. “from trikru to Skaikru, no one will disobey the law or try to break the peace or slow down the process. It’s not anyone’s fault that the praimfaya is happening again. Skaikru will be in charge of finding other ways for us to survive because they know about this more than we do” Lexa said looking at them. “the other clans, will find supplies and will look for this symbol and Trikru and Azgeda are in charge of keeping the peace.” Lexa said and Indra looked at her. “learn to work together.” Lexa said and got up.
“Clarke” Lexa said and Clarke went next to her. “as from today, Clarke kom Skaikru has the position of my personal counsellor through the journey towards Praimfaya. Any attack against her will be an attack against the commander. Chancellor Kane is the elected chancellor of Skaikru but Clarke will be their leader towards Praimfaya. Do I have an understanding?” Lexa said and they all bowed their head. “why?” Clarke said in a low tone. “our people are so quick to make everything your fault.” Lexa said in a low tone and Clarke went and sat down. “Any change in the environment, in any clan must be told immediately. That’s it for today. Send king Roan to me after he arrives” Lexa said and Gaia nodded. Lexa walked out of the room. Raven walked to Clarke. “I am so glad she isn’t dead” Raven said. “me too” Clarke said. “that man didn’t deserve to die” Luna said and Clarke turned to her. “we don’t have time for old conversations with the clan leaders. The world is ending and all they talk about is Lexa being weak. I would thank her if I were you” Clarke said. “you care about her” Luna said. “yes. Lexa is special. She does everything to keep the peace” Clarke said. “Lexa’s agenda is peace but I am afraid she might lose herself like the rest of the commanders” Luna said. “at least she doesn’t run away from who she is Luna” Anya said instead of Clarke. “I didn’t run from Lexa. I ran from killing her” Luna said. “whatever your reason was, hiding in the edge of the world with children doesn’t make you a better person. Staying in the middle of war and being able to forgive, does. Welcome to Polis Natblida” Anya said and went with Clarke. “those 3 suit each other don’t they?” Luna said to Raven. “wait till you see Octavia” Raven said and Luna chuckled. “I didn’t get to properly introduce myself. I am Luna kom Floukru.” Luna reached her hand out as a grounder tradition. Raven didn’t know what to do. Luna grabbed Raven’s forearm. “I am Raven from Skaikru” Raven said and smiled at her. “see you around Raven from the sky people” Luna said and went towards her own room.
Lexa was in her room and Clarke and Anya went in. “nice kick” Anya said. “don’t say anything” Lexa said. “deserved it” Clarke said and Lexa chuckled. “okay I can handle only one Lexa at a time” Anya said joking.
The next day, Raven and Clarke were with Lexa in her room trying to come up with ideas. Gaia knocked the door and Roan was with her. “king Roan of Azgeda is finally here” Lexa said looking at her maps. “forgive me commander the roads were blocked by trees” Roan said. “I hope the roads aren’t blocked when praimfaya is here” Lexa said sarcastically and Raven chuckled. “I heard from flaimkepa about your visions.” Roan said and Lexa got up. “Azgeda has the biggest army besides trikru. I want you to keep the clans in peace” Lexa said. “my people won’t accept me sending my army out of our clan Heda” Roan said. “then we shall see if your convincing skills are as good as your fighting” Lexa said and Clarke sighed. “we can do another thing” Clarke said and Lexa looked at her. “we need two sites that we have to protect in case of a coup. Polis and Arkadia. They will not attack other places because their purpose is either you or our technology.” Clarke said. “both places are in trikru territory. You have guns so 100 of our people will be sent to Arkadia to protect it. but we can’t protect polis and our villages and control other clan at the same time” Lexa said. “Roan how many men can you send in the best situation?” Clarke said. “200” Roan said. “we can send 300 out of Trikru territory besides the ones in Arkadia” Anya said. “so what if we put 100 of Azgeda warriors and 150 of Trikru warriors in Polis? The rest can be divided between the clans” Clarke said and Lexa was in doubt. “that is possible but with one condition” Lexa said. “what?” Roan said. “Lake clan is your responsibility in case of a treason” Lexa said. “always has been” Roan said and Lexa nodded.
Clarke and Roan walked out of Lexa’s room. “your girlfriend is becoming even tougher than before” Roan said. “I don’t blame her she has 13 clans to control and a death wave to avoid” Clarke said. “it was a normal winter. Didn’t think praimfaya was about to happen” Roan said and Clarke chuckled. “Azgeda is friends of skaikru Clarke” Roan said. “I will do my best to save everyone” Clarke said.
A few weeks passed and Clarke was in Arkadia. Bellamy was crossing the places they had looked for the bunker from the map that the gates opened. “Luna?” Clarke said frowning. Confused by Luna’s pale look. She had 5 children with her all sick. “what happened?” Clarke said as Bellamy was running to get Abby and Jackson. “they ate fish yesterday. Almost half of my people are dead. The other half are either sick or lucky they didn’t eat anything.” Luna said. Raven arrived with Abby and Jackson. “hey are you okay?” Raven said worried and Luna nodded. “its ARS Clarke” Jackson said. “what?” Luna said. “Acute Radiation Syndrome. We can’t save them without medicine” Jackson said. “get me the medicine” Abby said. “No Abby. We can’t use it” Raven said as she was in charge of rationing. “get me the medicine” Abby said angrily and looked at Clarke. “they can’t be saved. We can’t waste the medicine” Raven said sadly. “I am a doctor you can’t tell me when to give up on a patient” Abby said frustrated. “here” Murphy gave her the medicine. “what the hell do you think you are doing?” Raven said. “saving your humanity” Murphy said and Abby injected it to the child. A few hours later the child died out of radiation and Raven walked out madly and pushed Murphy against the wall. “next time ask me if I want my humanity to be safe before wasting the only thing that we need desperately” Raven said and walked away. Clarke went out and saw Murphy. She stood there in silence. “what you want to punch me or something?” Murphy said and Clarke shook her head. “you are a good friend Murphy.” Clarke said and he looked at her. “I feel like there is a ‘but’ coming” he said. “but” Clarke said and he rolled his eyes. “here we go” he said. “but we need to think about saving the human race” Clarke said and patted his back and went back inside. Abby was checking Luna.
“curious” Abby said while writing things down. “what is it?” Clarke said. “she has no symptoms. It’s like her body rejects radiation” Abby said and Clarke looked at her for a moment. “of course it does” Clarke said with a low tone. “what do you mean Clarke?” Abby said. “there is only one thing that makes others and Luna different.” Clarke said. “night blood” Abby said. “I think we just found ourselves a possible solution” Clarke said smiling.