thirty-one | finding hope

The last of the bonfire embers are caught by the wind as they dance, floating away from the darkness that surrounds them

The last of the bonfire embers are caught by the wind as they dance, floating away from the darkness that surrounds them. Peaking through the clouds is the moon that shines down on Freya, where she sits at the back porch of the Black residence with an old maroon blanket wrapped around herself.

Freya couldn't help but tug at the bracelet that was always a soothing reminder. Each pinch resulted in her sharp nails scraping against her skin in a constant reminder that she was still present. There were no hallucinations despite the shadows that mocked her. If she looked too long, then she was certain Noah and Riley lurked within the woods, reminding Freya that she had accepted the darkness.

"Freya?" Alison opened the back door with two hot chocolates in hand. "Are you cold?"

Shaking her head, Freya turned to Alison, who took a seat next to her best friend. The blue of her eyes was wide in concern, but she attempted a smile as Freya moved the blanket to wrap around them both. Then Freya took the second hot chocolate appreciatively.

"It was all Emily," Alison explained the drinks. "She needed to do something."

Freya nodded, taking a sip of the hot liquid as it burnt her tongue — another reminder that she wasn't hallucinating. The two sat in silence as Freya had been trying to do while listening in to the ongoing argument inside.

"She's my girlfriend, Sam, and my imprint. Taking her away from here is for the best."

"It won't help! Jacob, she needs the pack. If she goes, Alison will follow." Leah's voice appeared.

"Leah's right," Sam spoke. "Leaving will only leave Freya more vulnerable. She's safer here and you know it, Jacob. Please don't make me command you over this."

"Son, we need to tell her parents."

"Billy's right, Jacob," Emily's soft voice echoed. "This is getting out of hand."

"No! Freya won't want that!"

"Then, what do you suggest we do, Jacob?" Shelley snapped. "I refuse to risk all three of them engaging with the moon when a full moon is coming up."

"The moon!" Jacob shouted. "Right, 'cause that's not behind all this."

"It's different spirits, Jacob," Shelley reminded the boy calmly.

"Jacob..."

"There has to be something," his voice broke. "Please, I can't lose her, Dad."

"I know, son. If we can just get through the full moon and capturing that leech, then perhaps Freya will be more in control," Billy said. "Until then, you'll just have to keep a close eye on her."

"Elodie will be ready then," Shelley said, meaning that she'd be more confident once her niece had experienced a second full moon without any issues.