thirteen | the letter

Freya closed the front door behind her, covering her ears as Nancy screeched, running towards Alison with open arms

Freya closed the front door behind her, covering her ears as Nancy screeched, running towards Alison with open arms. Alison laughed, dropping to her knees to give the little girl a hug.

"Hey, there, sparkle-face," Alison ruffled up the little girl's hair.

Nancy squealed, "not my hair!"

"Nancy, stop squealing," Natalie scolded her daughter with a sweet smile. She turned to her eldest daughter, holding a letter. "How was school, honey? I have a letter here for you."

"For me?" her eyebrows furrowed as she took the letter. The envelope had her name and address, the handwriting elegant with long swirls. Who was this from? Freya looked up. "Uh, school was school."

Alison stood up, leaning over Freya's shoulder as she glanced at the letter, lips tugging down in a frown. "It's fancy."

It was a little odd. Both girls were tense after the latest close call with death, not knowing how they had managed to get out of that one. Bella had told her dad that the animals in the woods were wolves, so that problem was solved (hopefully). Laurent, however, was another problem - and Victoria - that all three girls were clearly unprepared for.

"Let me know if it's anything exciting," Natalie said, her attention turning from her youngest daughter to Alison. "Are you staying tonight?"

Alison nodded, "I know it's a school night, but Freya and I have this project that's due coming up."

"Sure, Freya's told me all about it," she smiled, believing their lie so easily. "Dinner will be at six, and lights out by eleven."

Both girls agreed, disappearing upstairs to Freya's room that she locked the door behind them. Having a little sister meant Freya had the privilege of a lock to her room. They both eyed the letter, nervous and excited about what it could be.

"Imagine if it's from Victoria," Alison said. "Or the Cullen's? Surely they'll have fancy writing like that. Edward would."

"Maybe," Freya realised, the excitement she felt deflating.

She opened the letter, surprised to see it was for both herself and Alison. The two girls read it together.

Dear Freya and Alison,

I hope this letter finds you before the next full moon. I'm sure you're wondering who this is, but currently, it is too early for you to meet me. I believe it's best for the two of you to find yourselves (and hopefully others) rather than relying on previous mermaids for support. We have allies that I'm sure you girls will meet soon as our two kinds are connected by our ancestors. One thing you should know, though: our kind is almost extinct.

Our kind and new ways of life will be revealed to you shortly, I'm sure. However, for now, I believe it is best for you girls to know the basics. DO NOT GO OUT DURING THE FULL MOON. You must know this by now. Do not even look out the window, or even at a reflection of the moon. Even more so, do not be around anyone who can be influenced by you. Currently, I know you must stay away from Jacob Black during the full moon, Freya. Alison, please be aware of the impact you could have on certain people, much like Freya with Jacob. Also, do not kiss anyone as your powers are more than the water abilities you currently have.