forty-two | two lost souls

The day it happened had been one of the worst days of Jacob Black's life

The day it happened had been one of the worst days of Jacob Black's life. As a young boy, Jacob had lost his mother suddenly to a fatal car crash and that had been just as unbearable. But now, Jacob had failed the girl he loved too many times.

See, Freya Swan was dead.

And Jacob Black felt like he had died, too.

He wished he was dead.

Like an empty shell, his wolf acted out of survival but Jacob had given up long ago. The thoughts of his pack echoed inside his head, but no one could break through to the lost boy, who was constantly spiralling in his grief.

On the first day since Jacob's accident (and Freya leaving), Jacob had pleaded with his father to let him go as he couldn't bear one more moment stuck in bed while Freya was lost to the siren. But Billy Black had promised that Alison was with Freya; that Freya was safe and Jacob had foolishly trusted his father.

On the second day — the day of Freya's death — the bloodsucker doctor had declared Jacob healed but advised he took it easy, insisting that he avoided phasing another day or two. The words never reached Jacob's ears since he was already hurrying for the door.

"Jacob!" his father called after him. "You can't leave!"

"I have to find Freya," Jacob insisted, having spent the restricted time figuring out what he was supposed to do. One way or another, Jacob was going to save her — he wouldn't fail Freya for a second time. The first part involved capturing the siren and then the second revolved around finding a way to bring back his Freya, no matter the cost.

"Jacob, I told you phasing isn't a good idea," Carlisle reminded him.

Jacob scoffed, not answering as he reached for his keys. As if he was going to listen to the leech.

"Son," Billy panicked. "Please — I have a letter from Freya."

That caused the teenager to pause, where he glanced back at his father, noticing how the man couldn't even look at his son anymore. Jacob clenched his jaw, catching the lies. "A letter? You told me she was with Alison."

Alison had been ignoring his texts.

How could Jacob be so stupid?

The doctor saw himself out, sensing that he would be no help and neither of them was sorry to see him leave despite how thankful Billy was. But Jacob didn't miss the doctor's promises of passing on any information they have to Billy.

"Dad," Jacob's voice shook, hating to ask for a second time. "Where is Freya?"

Billy wheeled himself closed to his son, reaching into his pocket as he pulled out a letter with the small writing belonging to Freya. "She left me with letters for everyone," Billy told his son quietly. "Including to me with the instructions that I told her parents everything that had been going on for their sake. They currently think Freya is staying here with you, but I want you to tell them with me, Jacob."