one | floating fish

Taking a deep breath, Freya curled her fingers around an imaginary ball to control the water her fish happily swam within

Taking a deep breath, Freya curled her fingers around an imaginary ball to control the water her fish happily swam within. Slowly, they lifted gradually as they hovered just beneath the ceiling of her room, oblivious that they were no longer in their tank.

Freya placed her rubber gloves on with a small smile starting to show. For once, Freya was happy with herself as she felt like she was one up against the water for a change.

It had taken both girls a while to get used to growing a tail seconds after touching the water, but with caution, they were starting to get the hang of it. Freya's way had been avoiding the ocean completely and Alison eagerly spent every second that she could in the ocean. Due to the two becoming mermaids, Alison had to give up her swim team that had been a hard sacrifice for the girl. Freya, however, grew to hate the water more than she had before.

Then there were the powers, which Alison had advised they shouldn't use until they had control of them, but Freya's fish were in desperate need of a clean. Somehow, Freya was able to manipulate the water and Alison had discovered a talent in freezing the water.

Perhaps it was too extreme wearing rubber gloves and a raincoat inside, but Freya didn't want to risk it. Since becoming a mermaid, her clothes had turned waterproof. Long coats with sleeves that prevented water from dripping inside, leather gloves, hoods, and umbrellas. Water was a constant threat in a town like Forks.

"Freya!" Nancy — her younger sister — came hurrying into her bedroom with the door swinging open. The six-year-old girl jumped onto Freya's bed excitedly, oblivious of the fish that hovered above her head.

"Nancy, you shouldn't keep running into my room like that," Freya scolded, wondering what would happen if the girl had caught her using her powers or with a tail. "I could have been changing."

"So?" She questioned before giggling. "You look funny. Why are you dressed like that?"

"I'm cleaning my fish tank," Freya informed her, focusing on the tank in hope that Nancy would continue to stay oblivious to the floating water. Not that anyone would believe a six-year-old claiming to see floating fish in water. Anyone who knew Nancy knew she had a wild imagination.

"Where are your fish?" Nancy looked around the room for them, her eyebrows creasing in confusion.

"Uh, in my bath," Freya said.

She bit her lip as Nancy stumbled to the bathroom in the hope to find Freya's fish. Quickly, Freya scrubbed the last bit of dirt of the tank before moving the fish back to where they belonged. Nancy's shouts of questions came floating back along with her before she froze on seeing the fish back in their tank.

"How did you do that?" She questioned, amazed as if Freya had done a magic trick.

"Magic," Freya replied.

"But — but magic doesn't exist," she whispered. "Like unicorns."

"I thought you believed in magic and unicorns?" Freya asked her sister, wondering if she'd grown out of her unicorn obsessions. Though, she knew that wasn't that case as Nancy wore a light pink top with a unicorn and a rainbow on it.