five | cupcake delight

Under the sea was playing from the music player as both girls sung and baked together

Under the sea was playing from the music player as both girls sung and baked together. It was a Sunday — a relaxing day where Freya found herself relieved of no work or homework.

"Okay, tasting time," Freya held the bowl out for her little sister, who sat on the kitchen side with a bright smile. She let out a little cheer as her finger dived into the bowl as she tasted the butter icing Freya had made. "How is it?"

"So good," her little sister leaned forwards, eager for more.

"Woah, we need to ice the cakes first, remember?" She moved the bowl away from her sticky fingers, reminding the child to wash her hands again. "Right, pink?"

"Yes!" Nancy shouted, noticing that she had perhaps given Nancy a little too much sugar already.

Jacob is going to love these, she thought to herself, along with the thought of his face causing her lips to slip into a smirk.

Her smile grew even wider as the two decorated the batch of cupcakes with Freya creating a swirl of pink icing on top and Nancy covering them in all things sugar. The two had made cupcakes with rainbow sprinkles, edible stars, hearts and sweets.

"Smells good in here," their father commented on entering the kitchen, having just gotten home for the day from work. He kissed both his girls on their foreheads, barely avoiding Nancy's sticky fingers, who was currently licking the spoon clean. His eyes landed on the cupcakes. "Aren't these a work of art."

"I did them!" Nancy told him proudly. "Freya helped."

"Nancy did the decorating," she pointed out the obvious.

"I can see that," the man nodded at the cluttered sugar, a little too much for each cake, but that was expected from a six-year-old. "They look beautiful, Nancy. I can't wait to try one!"

"Just don't eat them all," Freya avoided her dad's gaze. "They're for later today when I'm out with Bella and Jacob."

"Jacob?" Her dad's eyebrows raised. "Billy Black's boy?"

Freya nodded, cheeks flaming slightly upon noticing her father's expression. "Yeah. Bella wanted to see him yesterday so we did and now we're going back over today."

"He's a good kid."

The doorbell went then with Nancy jumping down eagerly to see who it was. Freya moved forwards to stop her as she held her back with their dad going to answer the door himself. Nancy wriggled out of her arms, rushing away. She turned back to what she was doing, packing the cupcakes for later into a container ready to go.

"Freya!" Her dad called. "Alison's here!"

"Send her through!" Freya called back.

It wasn't long before Alison was entering the kitchen with Nancy in her arms, the two in conversation about a show Nancy had recently watch. Her dad had disappeared likely upstairs to shower and change or to find Freya's mother.