twelve | the disappearance of Jacob

"Jacob, your dad says you have mono

"Jacob, your dad says you have mono. I'm just calling to see how you're doing?"

"Hey, it's me again. Are you okay?"

"Hey, so my dad dropped off some cakes for you but he said Billy wouldn't let him check on you? Are you still sick?"

"Jacob...I'm sorry about what I said at the movie theatre. Just, please, call me?"

Freya leant against the sofa of Charlie Swan's floor, books open and pen in between her teeth as she tried to focus on the homework. The Swan brothers and Harry Clearwater were going fishing while the two girls had a day in doing homework. Again. Freya had a plan, though: she was going to make Bella watch Harry Potter once the men left. Apparently, her cousin had never seen the films or read the books.

"Jacob, please, call me."

Her attention flickered up from the book to Bella. The girl had gripped the corner of the desk, where the home phone was, evidently upset. Jacob's disappearance had been bothering Bella more than Freya, and she was sure it was due to the Cullen's leaving her.

"Okay," Charlie spoke, entering the room with Derek and Harry. "We should be back around three."

He looked towards his daughter, noticing her silence, as he sighed. "Hey," Bella turned to face her dad. "Look, I don't have to go fishing."

"Yes, you do," Harry told him.

"Come on, Carlie," Freya couldn't hold back her grin as she saw her dad in his bucket hat, fishing rod in hand as he waited impatiently. "We haven't done this in ages."

"Yeah, you do," Bella agreed. "Go. What are you talking about?"

"Bella and I have got a whole day of homework to keep us occupied," Freya smiled reassuringly at Charlie. Then her eyes narrowed, gazing between the three men in the room. "Just be careful - all of you."

"Always am," Charlie said.

"Those bears won't get the drop on me, Freya," Harry reassured the girl. Bears weren't what Freya had meant, but she forced a smile. The man's eyes moved between Freya and the glass of water on the table in front of her. Freya's smile wavered. His eyes met hers. "My Kung Fu is strong."

"What a relief," she mumbled.

Freya's plan of watching Harry Potter all day fell apart before she could even mention it.

Bella had grown impatient with Jacob not answering their calls. Freya was all up for going to Jacob's, but on the way there it had started raining, and she didn't want to get on Billy's bad side after the full moon incident.

"So much for a team effort, huh?" Freya murmured.

"Could have picked a better time," Bella agreed. "But at least that means the three of us can stay in tonight."