eleven | Nancy's new phase

Each second dragged as Freya watched the clock

Each second dragged as Freya watched the clock. That morning she'd already baked a fresh batch of scones and cleaned every inch of the cafe. The cafe was quiet today and Freya suspected it was due to the downpour outside.

"How did you get here?" Freya asked Alison, whose shift had just started.

"I made mom drop me off as close to the entrance she could get," she pulled the bow of her apron tight. Alison pulled out the hand sanitizer the two girls had made for themselves, squeezing it into her palm as she rubs them together. Being mermaids in catering made them find an alternative to washing their hands - as well as wearing gloves. "She told me I looked ridiculous in all the layers. It worked though: not a single drop."

"I don't think my raincoat will protect me," Freya grimaced, knowing her mom was picking her up in half an hour. Perhaps she should rearrange for Bella to come to help her. "What am I going to do if it doesn't stop?"

"Pray for a miracle," she offered with a tight smile. "I would say you could borrow my waterproof suit and get Bella to run it back, but it's soaking wet."

"A miracle it is."

"Alison," their manager appeared, greeting the girl with a bright smile. "Always on time. I've got a few jobs for you since it's quiet. No water - I promise." her eyes glance between them both as the two mermaids shared a look. Shelly handed the list of jobs to Alison.

Alison took the list. "Great."

The two girls read the list, Freya choosing to help Alison with what little time she had left. They started on checking through the stock, organising it once more in order of expiry date.

"So," Freya knew what was coming. "Tell me the goss."

"There's no gossip," Freya wiped the dust from the potato chips stand.

Alison's dark eyebrows raised, noticing how her friend's cheeks reddened at the thought of last night. "No gossip, huh?"

"Well, I shut things down," she turned her back to Alison, starting to put the potato chips back on the shelves in order. "So it's over before anything started."

"Why on earth did you do that?" Alison let out a huff.

"Because Jacob is normal," she had whispered the word, eyeing the cafe for anyone who could overhear. Freya wished she could be a normal teenage girl with a crush but she wasn't and she didn't want to hurt Jacob or to get hurt herself. "He wouldn't feel the same if he knew about me. I've almost hurt him twice as it is."

"Freya, surely you've seen The Little Mermaid."

"That's Disney,  Alison," she frowned.

"So?" Alison shook her head. "I get you are scared but I think you're more afraid of getting hurt. You've been through so much pain, Freya, no one can blame you for being afraid. Falling in love, though, isn't something to fear."