nineteen | funerals suck

Alison failed to hide her teasing smirk behind the cup of tea that she had made for herself and Billy as Freya and Jacob emerged from the boy's bedroom

Alison failed to hide her teasing smirk behind the cup of tea that she had made for herself and Billy as Freya and Jacob emerged from the boy's bedroom. She hadn't meant to listen in - hence busying herself with making tea and sandwiches for everyone - but the new super-hearing ability made it a little hard to zone out.

Freya's cheeks had blazed upon seen her friends expression with Alison raising an eyebrow that meant the two had a lot to talk about. She averted her gaze as Jacob hurried to grab one of the many sandwiches, but even his joyful, satisfied grin gave them away.

"Billy's outside with the pack," Alison informed Jacob. "I made him eat something, but he insisted on speaking to Sam. I think Billy and Shelley are catching them up."

"Thanks," Jacob bit into his sandwich.

Alison's smile fell as she handed Freya the plate. "I know you're not a huge fan of cheese, but it was the only veggie substance Billy has."

Jacob's mouth parted in surprise. "You don't like cheese? I've seen you eat pizza."

"I prefer melted cheese," Freya said, accepting the sandwich gratefully. "Right now, I'm hungry enough for any cheese."

"So, I spoke to Shelley a little after her phone call, and apparently, she worked out our secret through work with our sudden issue with water. Oh, and get this, Shelley caught you in your tail on the kitchen cameras, so good thing she does know as the footage is now deleted," Alison laughed, "Shelley also said she still has a couple more things to go over with us, but right now we need to concentrate on the vampire problem. I think she wants to try some moon thing with us when we're ready."

"Moon thing?" The other two questioned.

Alison shrugged, "I'm at a total loss with it all, hence all these sandwiches."

"We better go see then," Freya realised with a sigh.

Taking her sandwich, the trio left the house with Alison carrying enough food to satisfy the pack's needs. They were all gathered outside with Sam stood at the front of the pack with his arms crossed, eyebrows raised as he listened to what Billy and Shelley were saying. Behind him, the rest of the pack members sent the three of them a smile, happy to see they were all alive and well.

Billy gave Shelley a nod, offering to take over as the elder mermaid walked over to the two girls with a strained smile. For some reason, Freya had a feeling Shelley was about to break the bad news to them.

"So, Melanie is going into hiding abroad," Shelley informed them. "I can't blame her, really. But there's something I wanted you girls to help me with. I'm not sure if it'll work as I'm not a fully transitioned syreni."

"Oh, I hope she knows how sorry we are," Freya said, stomach-churning at the thought of a family packing up and hurrying from their home because of them. "What can we do?"