fifty-one | times running out

Freya was lost in the woods

How she got here, she wasn't sure. For a mermaid, surrounded by enemies, being alone in the woods was not a good idea. Her eyes trailed the area, ears twitching with each heartbeat she picked up, but the wolves were silent.

"Jacob?" Freya whispered.

If Freya was alone, then the siren would return.

But Freya could not see the boy who kept her sane.

Freya turned, searching in desperation. If her mind still belonged to herself, then Jacob had to be close by. But time was ticking with the throb of Aro inside her mind as a reminder of that.

Then, Freya's eyes fell on a mirror that had appeared opposite herself. Confusion twisted within her facial features as she approached the random prop. She was so deep into the woods that there was no logical explanation for a mirror to be there.

Inside the mirror, Freya saw her reflection. Short hair that caught easily in the wind as it brushed against her shoulders, wide-frightened eyes as she waited for the truth to reveal itself, and then heavy crescent moons hung beneath her eyelids. It was Freya, but not the girl she had once been. Grief and depression had eaten away at this Freya.

"You are a killer, Freya Swan," her reflection spoke.

Behind her reflection, a second person appeared as Freya's head darted behind her in panic. She had expected to see Riley the first to fall at her hand but the boy was gone. Only, when she turned back to the mirror, he was there with eyes burning bright with hatred.

"I'm sorry," Freya whispered.

But sorry was not enough. Not as the second victim appeared, then a third, and then the heart-breaking innocent face of Flavio. Each one caused Freya's heart to chip until the final one appeared: Lewis. His chest remained open, empty of the heart that she had stolen from him.

"I'm sorry," Freya repeated, desperately. "I'm so sorry."

The ghosts, however, remained still until Freya's reflection twisted; the broken girl shifted, eyes brightening with a glow that promised murder and then a sadistic smirk.

"You miss it, Freya," said the siren. "You know I'll be back."

Freya shook her head frantically, the word no repeatedly falling from her lips. She stumbled back, wanting to get far away from the mirror as she could, but her body fell into a stone-like figure. Cold, white hands gripped her arms, stopping her from moving.

Her lungs collapsed; heart exploding.

Then, the master whispered into its puppets ear: "It's almost time to come home, my dear Freya"