eighteen | Sarah Black

Freya had kept to her word, refusing to go into the house as Bella chased the Cullen's once more

Freya had kept to her word, refusing to go into the house as Bella chased the Cullen's once more. Jacob had followed behind her, though, just to make sure nothing had happened to Bella. He had passed his phone over to Freya before he left, knowing she was eager to get ahold of her Dad.

Alison stood next to her by Jacob's rabbit, offering her a reassuring smile as the phone kept ringing. Eventually, it picked up, the small voice of her Mother's appearing. "Hello?"

She spoke quickly, "Mom, it's me, Freya."

"Freya?" She sounded surprised. "Honey, where are you? Why are you not calling on your phone?"

"I, uh, I'm at Bella's right now," she stated truly, pausing as she struggled to find a reason as to why she wasn't home or to what had happened to her phone. "Well, the Cullen's are back--"

"What? Edward's back?"

"No, I don't think so," Freya glanced towards the house. "I don't know who, but Bella and Jacob are checking it out now. I don't want to leave Bella until I know they've gone."

"Oh, baby, of course."

"I lost my phone," she hated lying. "I don't know where it is. We were out hiking and I think I might have dropped it..."

"Hiking?" Her Mom repeated, the word distracting her from the bad lie. "Freya, you know what Charlie said about the woods. Harry--"

"I know about Harry, Mom," her voice hitched. "I...I'm so sorry."

A silence fell between them, Natalie Swan collecting her thoughts, and then her voice appeared, barely a whisper. "It happened so fast. I haven't seen your Dad since this morning. I didn't want Nancy to be around the Clearwater's right now, so I haven't seen Sue."

"Mom, I'm so sorry," Freya felt heavy with guilt. "I'll get Jake and I'll come home right now."

"No, baby, it's okay," Natalie spoke. "I think it's best I see Sue tomorrow anyway. I - it... reminds me of Noah. I don't want to overwhelm them either."

"Okay," Freya understood. "How is dad?"

Natalie seemed to be holding back her tears. "I spoke to him earlier when he called me to tell me what had happened. Freya, honey, you know how your Dad gets when he loses a patient. The fact that he couldn't save his friend... he's not taking it well."

Tears fell down Freya's cheeks as Alison's hand fell on her shoulder with a small squeeze, Freya moving her free hand to grasp onto Alison's hand. Derek Swan had beaten himself up when Noah had died, insisting he should have been there - that he could have saved him, when Freya had failed. But now when he had the knowledge and ability to save his friend, he couldn't.

"I'll be home soon," was all Freya could bring herself to say.

"No worries," Natalie said. "I'll see you soon."