twenty-eight | the last plan

There was a soothing feeling about being around Jacob's and Freya believed it was because everything was out in the open with Billy

There was a soothing feeling about being around Jacob's and Freya believed it was because everything was out in the open with Billy. Around him, Freya didn't have to lie or pretend as much as she did with her parents and it was honestly a relief.

"Fancy some dinner before your training?" Billy offered, calling out to Freya from the kitchen as she sat on the small sofa with Jacob (the two were doing homework). "Don't want you heading out with an empty stomach."

"If it's not any trouble," Freya said.

"Course not," Billy replied.

Jacob poked her side, raising an eyebrow. "You know he's going to make you eat every bite."

"Damn right I am, son," Billy overheard him.

Freya blushed, somewhat touched, where she smiled. After her encounter with Edward earlier that day, Freya hadn't had much of a stomach for anything. Of course, Jacob knew what had happened and it took Freya calming him down to stop him from storming over to the Cullen's, kicking off about the fact that he believed Edward set Freya up.

But, it turns out that Bella had assured Freya the spell broke as soon as Edward returned home and that he wasn't mad. The offer of help came from Bella, as well as Edward (Freya struggled to believe that) and that the offer was still there for them to accept. Still, though, Freya couldn't help but feel incredibly guilty (she was just glad it was Edward and not someone she cared about).

"You're worrying again," Jacob noticed, arm falling slack along the back of the sofa, where his warm fingers tingled against the skin on the back of Freya's neck. "And I hope it's about the algebra problem as it has me stumped too."

Freya glanced down at the page, where the mundane question did have her confused, but she struggled to concentrate on top of everything else. Not only had she compelled again, but Jacob had spent the day with Bella. The two had apparently hung out with Jacob having only told her about the imprinting, which meant Edward must have filled Bella in on the rest. Was he trying to scare Bella into staying away? How could Freya make Bella choose between two monsters?

"Not the algebra problem, huh?" Jacob realised with a sigh.

"Freya," Billy called, not meaning to intrude, but wanted to distract the girl before she sunk any further. She turned, eyes falling on the man in his wheelchair, where he shook a box of veggie fingers that she found herself laughing at. "Jake and I went shopping."

"Are those for you, Billy?" Freya jokingly questioned.

"Goodness no," the man chuckled. "Jake and I have the fish versions. Reminds me of when you were all tiny tots. Back when things were simple, right?"

"Thank you, Billy," Freya said, touched at the gesture that the two of them had brought food to cater for her diet. "You didn't have to."

"'Course we did," Billy said. "Right, I'll get these in the oven and then I'll give you two some space before dinner."