twenty-two | return of the moon

The fact that Freya's parents had let her skip school to take Hazel back to the airport the following day shocked the sixteen-year-old, but she wasn't going to make a fuss about it

The fact that Freya's parents had let her skip school to take Hazel back to the airport the following day shocked the sixteen-year-old, but she wasn't going to make a fuss about it. Alison, on the other hand, had lied to her mom; driving now made it easier for her.

Surprisingly, Freya sat in the middle of the back of Alison's car with Embry and Jacob either side of her. Jacob had wanted to give the three space to catch up together, but the pack decided Embry seeing Hazel leave might help him understand it was for the best. It had been further decided that Jacob's presence would make sense so that he could be there to comfort his friend.

Honestly, it was a little weird and confusing. Freya understood the intensity of the imprinting bond, but at times like this it freaked her out a little. Hazel had no idea, of course, despite the girl's curiosity with the boy. But the pack —Embry too, though regretfully — had decided that there was nothing they could do and Hazel being home in San Francisco was a lot safer for her. If she was to stay here then Shelley had concluded she'd be at risk of the moon and Sam added the fact that the pack also faced many dangers. Knowing this, Embry had realised it was the best thing to protect his imprint.

"You lot are a tense bunch," Hazel commented, twisting in her seat to glance at the trio in the back. "Am I missing something?"

"Just don't want to say goodbye," Freya said, knowing it wasn't a complete lie.
Hazel's face softened, reaching for the necklace that hung from her neck as Freya responded. "Summer isn't long," Hazel reminded Freya, switching her attention to Alison. "Hopefully I'll be the one driving then."

"Or me," Freya added.

"Are you not sixteen yet?" Embry asked curiously.

"In June," she smiled, head-turning for a third time to meet his curious gaze. "You?"

"August," he admitted bashfully.

"Never known Embry to be so shy," Jacob whispered in her ear once Hazel turned away, knowing that Embry still would have heard him. Embry glared at Jacob, but Freya giggled.

"Sorry, are we forgetting the times you stuttered over the thought of talking to Freya?" Embry whispered teasingly, his voice switching as he attempted to mimic Jacob's voice. "'Oh, Embry, what if she doesn't like me?' and what about 'I'm too scared to ask her out.'"

"Yeah, yeah, we get it," Jacob mumbled, embarrassed.

"Get what?" Hazel queried in confusion.

"Imagine the trips we could do," Alison caught everyone's attention, including Hazel's, who turned back to face the front once more. Freya shot Jacob a grin, capturing his hand in hers. "We could drive to Seattle or Portland!"

"Road trip to San Francisco!" Hazel said. "You know, just in case I don't move back to Forks or I could drive up here more frequently."

Jacob spoke up. "You do realise it's like fifteen hours, right?"