thirty-four | the siren

"Carlisle and Jasper will be arriving shortly," Sam alerted the room with his eyes falling on Freya last, who had her knees tucked up to her chest

"Carlisle and Jasper will be arriving shortly," Sam alerted the room with his eyes falling on Freya last, who had her knees tucked up to her chest. Next to Freya, sat Jacob, who kept his arm wrapped around Freya, fingers tickling the exposed skin of her arm. Both Sam and Jacob exchange a look as the alpha continued. "We will act civil — all of us."

"I still don't agree with this," Paul had his arms crossed, glaring at the floor. "How can you expect me to leave Elodie alone with them on a full moon?"

"Paul," Elodie glared at the boy. "We've been over this: I can protect myself. Nothing will happen anyway."

"Yeah, 'cause nothing went wrong last time," Leah argued.

"Leah, really?" Jacob snapped as Freya flinched.

"Yes, really," Leah continued. "Freya, I'm sorry, but why should Alison and Elodie be at risk for the sake of you? The leeches can help Freya and have Alison and Elodie somewhere far away."

"It's better to have the three together," Shelley spoke before anyone else could. "We've been over this, Leah. For all three girls' sake, it's better to keep them together."

"Leah, please," Alison said from next to Leah, facing her imprinter with a hopeful smile. "It'll be okay — I promise."

"I'm sorry," Freya added, refusing to look at anyone in the room. Everyone was here, apart from Billy who was arriving shortly and then Quil and Seth since they were patrolling. Both newbies were going to switch with Jacob, Paul and Leah once the full moon started drawing closer. "I know this isn't the best way for the pack, but... if we don't do this," Freya's gaze shifted between Leah and Paul, "then it won't be long until the siren takes over."

"Don't apologise, Freya," Paul surprised Freya. "You know we'd do anything for you. If it was Elodie, we'd be doing the exact same, too — I just think there's a better way to protect those who aren't..."

"A siren," Freya finished for him, hating how tense Jacob was.

"Keeping us away from Freya could trigger us," Alison explained. "How do you guys feel when you can't be there to protect us? It'll be the same for Elodie and me."

"It's already been decided," Sam interrupted. "The Cullen's are coming whether we like it or not. Nothing will go wrong."

Elodie snorted a laugh. "Are you sure about that, Sammy?"

"Quite sure, Elle," Sam reassured her, face appearing tight. "Otherwise I wouldn't be inviting vampires into your home."

Elodie pressed her lips together, eyeing her aunt warily. Tonight was going to be tough for everyone and Freya felt awfully guilty about it. The atmosphere had never been this tense in the pack before and no one liked it. It eventually became colder as the stench around them shifted, followed by a delicate knock that left everyone on edge, ready to pounce.