fifty-nine | witnesses

Despite the upcoming confrontation, Freya could not help but feel at ease, knowing that a full moon had passed for the first time in months without someone dying

Despite the upcoming confrontation, Freya could not help but feel at ease, knowing that a full moon had passed for the first time in months without someone dying. Not only that, but Elodie's siren side was being contained thanks to Carlisle, and the two packs were starting to work together.

The mermaids were training together again, advancing their powers and control ready to face the Volturi, though everyone was eager to avoid a fight. Yet, with the Cullen's away searching for witnesses, Freya wasn't a fan of the number of red eyes that were visiting the town. While she was appreciative, she could not shake her fear.

When Bella returned, Freya and Jacob had visited to see the Cullen's witnesses themselves. If they were to trust these vampires, then Freya needed to meet them and to have them know that the mermaids needed to be kept quiet.

"Freya, you don't have to worry," Bella reassured her cousin.

"The more who know, then the greater the risk," said Freya, fighting the urge to chew on her lip from her nerves. "If word gets out about mermaids being here, then who knows what kind of trouble we'll attract."

Already, the red and golden eyes flickered to Freya, irises wide with curiosity and desire. For many, it was the first time seeing a mermaid; for some, they had memories like Jasper or perhaps even more sinister. Concerned, Jacob's hand remained on Freya's back, eyeing each vampire intently.

"A lot of red eyes around here too," Jacob added.

"They agreed not to hunt in the area," Bella was quick to reassure the two. "And to keep silent about the mermaids."

"But they'll feed somewhere," Jacob said, folding his arms.

"What's the cost of their silence?" Freya asked.

"I will keep your existence a secret," a vampire stepped forward with his red gaze meeting Freya's stare, where the irises appeared guilty. "My name is Peter. I fought alongside Jasper when I was a newborn. I won't ask for forgiveness for what I've done to your kind, but I am willing to do anything to atone for my crimes."

Freya remained silent, unknowing what to say. She had seen the wars from Jasper's memories; had seen the devastation caused by vampires. The newborn wars had played a massive part in their almost extension and now here they were with numerous vampires discovering their secrets.

"Just remain silent," said Freya.

But her mind was already forming ideas of wiping their memories before they left — not just for the safety of the mermaids, but for the town too.

"I can help you," another vampire offered, standing as his coven leader grabbed his arm, shaking his head. "Amun, they are not our enemies."

"She's a siren under Aro's control," Amun reminded the vampire.

"I also have a name," Freya frowned. "And Aro does not control me."

"Not while your wolf is around," Amun argued. "You worry that we are a threat to you, but you've forgotten who you are. Just being here with you is a promise of death."