twenty-three | the nightmare

Freya was stood on top of the cliffs with the harsh wind blowing at her as her fingers tugged the strands of hair behind her ears, preventing it from blinding her

Freya was stood on top of the cliffs with the harsh wind blowing at her as her fingers tugged the strands of hair behind her ears, preventing it from blinding her. Her body spun; eyes darting as she searched her surroundings. The sight of a figure caused her to pause with her breath stilling and lips shaping his name.

He sat on the edge of the cliffs, staring down at the waves below him that crashed against the rocky edge. Freya noticed he wore the same clothes as the day he died. For a moment her heart stopped, contemplating if this was real or not, but then she realised she didn't want to know. If this was a delirium state then she wanted to stay in it for as long as possible.

Freya's body moved quickly, rushing to her brother — wanting to pull him away from the cliffs before it swallowed him whole. But when Freya stood behind him, Noah didn't turn nor did she know what to say or do. Freya's body trembled; his name falling from her lips for a second time.

"Freya," he looked up with a grin so wicked that told her it wasn't really him that felt like an ice pick to her heart. Noah had been loving and kind to all; he had been the boy everyone looked up to. "You do like to make things difficult, don't you?"

"You are not Noah," she whispered.

"I suppose not," the boy mused. "But in a way: I suppose I am."

"Who are you?"

The boys eyes fell on the sky, but it was light outside. There was no sun or moon hidden behind the dark clouds. Freya felt like he was gesturing to the moon and the thought of it made her want to turn and run.

"There's no point in running," he caught her out. "One way or another, Freya, I am a part of you now, whether it be through the moon or Noah."

"You are the..." She couldn't bring herself to say it, knowing the concept of the moon being a talking, legitimate being sounded ridiculous.

"The moon?" He laughed, the sound causing her ears to ring as she held onto Noah's voice tightly, clinging to the memory of it. "I'm sure you've heard of the spirits. What do you call them again? The Luna Spiritus? It's funny how you mortals cling to Latin and Greek Mythology as if it comforts you to have a humane control over the unknown. Not everything is to do with those myths and legends."

Freya's eyebrows darted upwards. "You are a spirit of the moon?"

"The Tenebris Luna Spiritus, if it pleases you," he stood with a smirk plastered on Noah's soft features, the sight of it unsettling. "I'm the curse to your blessing."

Freya fell back a step, moving away from the dark spirit as her mind fell apart trying to understand the concept of what was happening. How was this possible? What did this mean? Freya ran a hand through her hair, turning behind her as she contemplated to run again, but the spirt just laughed at her.