twenty-nine | a sincere apology

Freya used to believe mermaids were magical with a mixture of all things sparkly and pure

Freya used to believe mermaids were magical with a mixture of all things sparkly and pure. If you thought of rainbows and unicorns, then you also thought of mermaids. Perhaps it was Disney's fault for this expectation since Freya saw her life as nothing like the childhood imaginations she had as a child.

Mermaids had taken a darker twist in Freya's life with their name being Syreni and the Nereids spirits becoming more of a burden to the girls, then a wish come true. It was a life Freya had come to accept; a harsh reality with no magic. But it was a step too far when it came to Freya's family, especially Nancy.

The sixteen-year-old now clutched onto her sister, vowing to never let her go again. The glitter of a mermaid life had faded, bringing nothing but stained tears glistening on Freya's cheeks. Nancy still slept peacefully in Freya's arms, oblivious to the night's events and Freya vowed for it to stay that way.

The alarm bell had been run with a vampire in the area. Both Sam and Jacob were currently in Freya's room with herself. Quil had rushed to check on Freya's parents, while Jared and Embry chased the scent. Then Paul and Leah had rushed to their imprints in hope that the trail didn't lead to them.

"This shouldn't have happened, Sam!" Jacob was raging, eyes bulging as his face paled in fear to the reality of what could have happened tonight. "Where was the pack?"

"Jacob," Freya's voice was a raw whisper, "this isn't anyone's fault. The pack can't cope with watching all three of us and our families."

Sam ran a hand over his cropped hair, and then his dark eyes fell on the sleeping child, face breaking at an innocent being caught in the crossfire. "This shouldn't have happened," he agreed. "But, even though we're still waiting for Paul and Leah, I believe Freya is the target. This was an obvious attack from Riley so our best move forwards is a twenty-four-seven watch on both Freya and her family — Charlie too."

"Bella!" Freya felt her eyes bulge as her head whipped to face Jacob. "Please, Jake, you have to call her."

"I will once this is sorted," he promised with one look at Freya stripping away his anger. "I need to keep you and your family safe first."

Freya nodded, attention falling back to her sister. The stench of Riley still hung heavy in Freya's room like an out-of-date perfume. It was revolting, much like the Cullen's, but Freya breathed it in to memorise it. Whether Riley meant to harm or not, he had still trespassed and came too close to Freya's loved ones, and she wasn't going to stand for that.

The phone went then, alerting the room's attention to the vibrating motions. Sam answered, speaking to Paul in a hushed voice to prevent Nancy from waking up. Outside, a wolf howled, signalling that Natalie was on her way home.

"There's no one here, Sam," Paul's voice appeared on the other end, tense with alert in his attempt to protect Elodie. "Shelley and Elodie have been here the whole time. I've checked the woods around them and there's nothing."