Chapter Twenty-Seven

James

I stared at her while she was sleeping on my chest. It was 4 in the morning and I couldn't get myself to sleep. I was playing with the tips of her hair.

She looks so precious when she was sleeping. I never want her to be afraid of me but she always is. Why is she with me if she's afraid. She says it's because she loves me. I love her too but I can't keep scaring her.

I have to do what I have to do. I have to let her go. It's going to be hard and difficult but I need to. It's the only way she can live her life without being afraid.

I bought her another phone. I bought it the same day I bought her old one. It's the same phone and same color. I bought it just in case she broke it by her clumsiness. I chuckled at how much she's clumsy.

I need her to set it up and she can go. I can't live without her but I need to. I need to get help. It's the only way we can both be happy without me lashing out and without her being scared.

I feel her move on my chest and she lets out a sleepy groan. while smiling. She opens her eyes and looks at me. Her hazel eyes staring into mine. She smiles. I couldn't smile back.

"What's wrong?" She asks me.

"Nothing." I replied closing my eyes.

"No, tell me." She sits up and straddles my lap.

"Em, I'm not doing this to hurt you." I soon say after a long silence.

"What do you mean?" She asks chuckling.

"We need to break up. And you need to leave." I said.

"What?" She asks. Her smile disappears and she's now frowning.

"Please don't make this hard." I ask closing my eyes.

"James, why?" She asks with tears in her eyes. Her voice crack.

"I need help." I replied. "I can't keep lashing out and hurting you and scaring you."

"But I love you." Her voice cracks.

"I love you too but this is the best for both of us." I said.

"James, no. No don't do this." She then starts to cry.

"Please don't cry." I said.

"James you don't need to do this. I'm not scared." She said.

"You may not be now but I fear that in the future I might actually hit you again and I can't." I said.

"You won't. I won't make you angry anymore. I'll be good. I won't break the rules." She says and my heart breaks.

"See, this is what I'm talking about. Our relationship is toxic and it's all me." I said.

"I'm not okay. Physically, yes but not mentally." I said.

"James, please." She starts to cry. I hold her face in both of my hands.

"In order for us to be happy, I need to do this. I need to let you go so I can get help." I said.

"But I can help you. I can just please don't let me go." She begs. She leans her head in my chest.

"You promised you would never let me go. You promised." She says crying harder and my heart breaks.

"I don't want you scared of me." I say.

"I'm not scared." She leans up and wipes her tears.

"You're telling me you've never been scared." I said. "You had to lock yourself in the bathroom for hours because you were scared of me."