Chapter Eighteen

Emery

I was frozen. I felt James' hand touch mine but I move it away. I can't believe he lied to me!

"Ex wife?" I asked.

"Yes." The girl answered. "Who are you?"

"I'm Emery." I replied. "James' girlfriend."

"Girlfriend?!" She said loudly. "James, seriously?" She then chuckled.

I looked down in embarrassment feeling myself getting angry and wanting to cry.

"You could've done way better." She says. "Why her?"

"Because I love her and she is beautiful just the way she is, Violet." James said.

"Whatever you say." She says and rolls her eyes.

"Bitch, don't you have somewhere to be?" Lanessa cuts in.

"Oh, hi Nessa. Long time, no see." Violet smirks.

Nessa scoffs. "You have some nerve being here."

"It's a party, right? James invited me." She says and I look up at James.

"I invited you because I thought that you wouldn't start anything but you're clearly looking for trouble so get out." James said.

"Baby, don't act like you didn't miss me." Violet says and I feel anger.

Violet walks towards him and fixes his tie. She looks up at him and plants a kiss on his cheek. He shivers. I take my hand out of his. He... he liked it. He didn't try to stop her. His fucking nerve.

"Violet, you need to leave." He finally says.

"Fine. But, I'll see you soon." Violet finally says then walks off.

"No you won't." Axel mumbles.

I wipe the tears falling out of my eyes before they fell down. But it was too late. James already saw them.

"Emery_" he tries to pull me into him but I pushed him.

"Don't touch me." I said. I grabbed Nessa's hand and walked off.

I walked with her to the bar, trying to find something that can make me relax. Trust me, I'm not the type of person to get drunk but I can't deal with this pain right now.

"Em, what are you doing?" She asks once I break into the liquor cabinet.

"I need a drink." I replied. I never drank before but I need to now before I did or said something I would regret.

"Em, James forgot about her. He loves you, not her." She tries consoling me.

"If that was the case, why did he let her kiss him?" I asked.

I couldn't get in the cabinet so I just gave up. I had tears in my eyes. Nessa noticed and hugged me.

"He loves you. I know he does." She says.

"He lied to me." I say once we pull away.

"How about you just dance with me and you can forget all about it." Nessa says and I smile. I sniffle then nod my head.

We walk onto the dance floor and sway to the fancy jazz music playing in the background.

I'm glad I found another friend to count on. We haven't even known each other that long and I already know that she's gonna be my best friend.

I felt someone poke my shoulder. I turn around. My eyes widen in shock.

"Adam?!" I said.

Adam was my foster brother in one of the foster homes I stayed in. He didn't really talk to me and if he did, it was only to tell me to do something for him. He knew his dad would rape me but didn't do anything about it.