Chapter Eleven

Emery

After being served and seated, me and James were having the time of our lives. We just ordered what we wanted to eat and the waiter went into the back.

My calculations were right, this is an expensive restaurant. But James owns it too so he had it cleared out just for me and him. He's so sweet.

"Are you enjoying yourself?" He asked taking a sip of his wine.

"Yeah," I said. "Thanks for bringing me here. I appreciate it." I said smiling. He smiled back.

"Anything for you, beautiful." He said. He's so sweet. I giggled and that caused him to smile wider.

"So," I said looking at him. "I'm curious about something," I told him. I low key had wanted to find out how he became this gang member, leader, whatever in the first place.

"What do you want to know?" He asked wiping the side of his mouth with the back of his hand.

"How did you get in this gang world?" I asked. He cleared his throat and began speaking.

"My father was the boss before me of course." He started. "He showed me a thing or two when I was 13. My mother didn't agree to it but she didn't stop him." He said.

"Why?" I asked curiously.

"Because she knew that I was gonna have to take over one day." He answered. "Anyways, he would show me a thing or two and sometimes, he would let me go to the spot. It's a spot where the gang hangs out at. When I was 17, my parents tragically died from a plane crash. That left me to take over. I stayed with Red's family until we both turned 18 and by the time I got enough money to buy both of us a house." He said.

"How did Alex get pulled into it?" I asked. He only mentioned Red. Nothing about Alex.

"He was a new kid in our school." He said. "Me and Red saw how he would get picked on by other students. What we didn't know was that he had some experience with a gun. We were walking back home where we saw him practicing his aim with a gun. We talked to him and he warmed up to us. He told us his story and we offered him a job in the gang and he took it. I bought him an apartment as well and his parents knows nothing about it." He said.

"Why did Alex get picked on? He's like the most sweetest person I've ever met." I said.

"No one knows. He didn't even know." James said. "Now tell me something about yourself, before the whole foster care thing."

"Well, um..." I was interrupted by the waiters passing us our food.

I smiled at him and he flirtatiously winked at me. I could tell James saw because once I looked at him, his eyes were a dark shade. The waiter sped off quickly. I turned back to James and his gaze was now on me.

"Why would you do that?" He asked.

"Do what?" I asked, seriously curious. I hope he doesn't get mad at me over this.

"Oh don't play fucking dumb." He said. "The way you were looking at that guy. You're fucking mine. How many times do I have to tell you before you get it, Emery?" He said now raising his voice a little.

"James, I wasn't_" I said but he interrupted.

"Save it." He said putting his finger up. "We're leaving. You done ruined my mood for the night. Let's go." I stood up, tears threatening to fall.

We grabbed to go trays and plated up our food in there. I guess I'll have to eat it at home. Why did this night already have to go be ruined. He acted like I winked back. I only smiled. Maybe that was giving him the wrong impression.