Digicast 139.321 Handling and Storage of HAZMAT

Any discrepancies found during an inspection are to be noted and based on the inspectors assessment, any discrepancy considered urgent, requires immediate correction. In most cases, the mobile fuller or other device is taken out of service until the matter is corrected. 

The airport is required to keep the records of each quarterly fueling safety inspection on file for a minimum of 12 consecutive calendar months. 

Each tenant fueling agent must have at least one supervisor stationed at the airport who has completed an FAA authorized aviation fuel safety training course. 

Airport operators are required to inspect each fueling agents physical facility on a quarterly basis, or at least one every 3 consecutive months. 

Even a small fuel spill is a hazardous situation, and calls for immediate action.

Hazardous materials fall under two categories: hazardous materials that are shipped as air cargo and the other refers to the transport and handling of fuel at an airport. 

Fuel trucks are not allowed to be stored in hangars or other buildings. 

Designated supervisors must complete fuel safety training prior to the initial performance of their duties, or be enrolled in such a course that will be successfully completed within 90 days of initiating their duties. The supervisor must then undergo recurrent training at least once every 24 consecutive calendar months.

If a tenant is observed parking a fuel truck in a building that is not for maintenance purposes, airport operations needs to immediately notify the responsible tenant of the violation and the fire department. 

Fuel trucks operating on the AOA should include fire extinguishers of the proper type and size, emergency shutoff switches, proper placards and posted no smoking signs. 

Parked fuel trucks must be separated by at least 10 feet from another fuel truck when not in use.

The airport operator is required to obtain written confirmation from each airport fueling agent that supervisor and line level training requirements have been met. The certification of these training records must also be maintained by the airport for 12 consecutive calendar months. 

All certificated airports that act as cargo handling agents must provide a way to safely receive, handle, and store hazardous materials, including having trained, qualified personnel. 

All employees of airport tenants who are tasked with fuel handling must be well trained on fire safety standards. 

When not in use, fuel trucks must be parked 50 feet from the nearest building.